First Facelift Age 64? (photo)

I am happy to provide more photos if helpful. I turn 64 in two weeks. I am unhappy with the heaviness in my lower face and am considering a full facelift with a neck lift. A facelift with fat grafting seems to be the gold standard among general reviews. Thoughts?

You would benefit from a face and neck lift, but some important things to know about fat transfers to add volume...

+1

As a specialist in oculofacial cosmetic surgery focusing in facial aging procedures, I have consulted people that had surgery done elsewhere. Most of them were unhappy with their results even though they didn’t look bad aesthetically. They didn’t communicate effectively with their doctor and their doctor felt that they needed something they didn’t want. As a surgeon, I always felt the need to spend a lot of time with patients to establish rapport and to understand their priorities.

Fat grafting is a procedure to add volume to one’s face. According to medical literature, 30-70% of the fat actually can be absorbed by the body. This means that the patient should be prepared for a second procedure especially in cheeks or sub-malar space when the fat is absorbed. We may optimize the technique and the longevity of the healing of the fat but a second procedure will surely be needed to make up for the 30% absorption.

Clearly you have a thin face with some sagging and neck banding. A face and necklift is something you will benefit from. I suggest that you bring some old photos and meet with your cosmetic surgeon so that both of you can set proprieties that must be addressed. When there is collaboration and agreement between the doctor and the patient, there is generally a higher level of satisfaction. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck in the pursuit of your procedure, and thank you for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facelift at Age 64

+1

You appear to be a great candidate for a facelift if you are in good health. It is difficult to give detailed suggestions by a photograph, however we offer computer imaging in our office so that patients can see the results that can be expected. Computer imaging has proved to be a very useful tool for accurate communication between surgeon and patient. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Fat Graft with Facelift

+1
You are an ideal candidate for a well executed facelift. You have nice facial features and proportions, but your facial tissues have settled due to aging process. Not everyone needs fat graft, and sometime fat graft is used inappropriately in facelift. It appears to me that you have adequate tissues that once repositioned to a more youthful position will result in a beautiful result without a fat graft. In my practice I do not have one ‘cookie cutter” approach to a facelift. Every face gets analyzed and an individualized surgical approach is designed for a lasting, dramatic and yet natural appearance

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Three components of facial aging process

+1

There are three components to the facial aging process: excess skin, volume loss and skin texture changes including brown/red spots, and fine lines.  Comprehensive facial rejuvenation requires addressing all three components—surgery, laser resurfacing, and adding volume with fat grafting or fillers.  The extent to which you need each of these components addressed depends on your individual situation.  I recommend that you consult with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon to review your personal health history and see which options are best suited for you.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Gold Standard

+1

Given that face and neck aging is a process happening in all 3 dimensions, volume restoration represents an important adjunct in rejuvenation. Lifting, filling and resurfacing represent the 3 pillars of balanced and lasting rejuvenation. You will have an excellent outcome for many years to come!

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Resurfacing should not be overlooked.

+1

Although it is hard to give comprehensive advice with just the photograph, I think you would see a wonderful result from a lower face and neck lift. The use of fat grafting to compliment the surgery one possibility but I would also consider laser resurfacing of the skin. Again in a picture it can be hard to tell if you need it but most people even by the age of their early 50s have enough sun damage and loss of collagen production that their skin would benefit from a laser resurfacing procedure. If we can make the skin as a whole look younger than the results of the surgical lift are that much better. Best of luck in your decision. You have beautiful features and should thus get a great result!

Ravi Dahiya, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Great candidate

+1

I see your concerns regarding the laxity and heaviness of the lower face. there is descent of the cheeks, deepening of the nasolabial folds and some bands in the neck area. As long as you are healthy enough for anesthesia, you would make a fantastic candidate for a face lift with fat grafting. Good luck!

Marcelo Ghersi, MD

Good candidate for a facelift.

+1

Based on the photograph that provides a very modest amount of information it looks as though you are a good candidate for facelift. The skin appears to be in good condition and the face attractive. Fat grafting is an adjunct to enhance areas of volume deficiency not necessarily a necessary component of the facelift..

Timing of a facelift

+1

You are definitely at a reasonable age to pursue facial rejuvenation. While fat grafting is very popular among surgeons currently, I do not see an indication for it in the photo you sent. You do have gravitational change that will be corrected with surgery, but I do not see a lot of volume loss. Fat grafting is used to correct volume loss. Consult with two or three surgeons and select one with a lot of experience with facelifts who seems to share your aesthetic ideal.

Patti A. Flint, MD

Facelift at 64, yes ma'am!

+1

you are a very good candidate for a face/neck lift (in general i think 55-65 is the sweet spot, however my range has been from mid forties to mid mid seventies with great satisfaction)

you appear to have great structure hidden under loose skin and descended soft tissues.

fat grafting may be beneficial but should be used with finesse and judiciously

take care

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD