I'm 7 Days PO Tummy Tuck Only. Sleeping Position?

I was up and walking the same day. The second day I stopped pain meds. I have been trying to limit my activity despite feeling great. I feel like the pain is increasing not decreasing. it's fairly easy to stand up,drains are still flowing (rather heavy, not less and still red), the days are fairly easy. I have been sleeping more comfortably (sides) - is this okay?? Do I need to continue sleeping on my back and propped up as originally done? Could this be the cause of increased discomfort?

Postoperative activity after abdominoplasty will be prescribed by your surgeon.

+1

I personally see no reason why you can't sleep in whatever position you wish. However, the final prescription for activity is the responsibility of your surgeon.

Sleeping position after tummy tuck

+1

Different surgeons have different regimens for their patients so you should check with your surgeon to see what he or she recommends. I recommend that my patients sleep in whatever position is most comfortable for them. I think that getting the best quality of sleep is important for the quickest, best healing. Good luck to you with your recuperation.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position after tummy tuck?

+1

Because of how tummy tucks (abdominoplasties) are performed, the most comfortable position for most patients will be on their backs in a "beach chair" position (back at 30 degrees, legs with pillows under knees). Depending on the patient and their post-operative course, they can also find a comfortable and safe position by sleeping on their sides with their knees drawn up towards the chest.

Make sure you check with your doctor first before making changes to your post-operative plan.

Best of luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

+1

You will be much better off having this question answered by your plastic surgeon who knows your situation best, is aware of your progress ( and whether or not you are experiencing any complications)  and is ultimately responsible for your care. Receiving  postoperative care advice online  can only be confusing and/or dangerous.

Sleeping Position After Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear BigTwins,

Congratulations on having your tummy tuck.

Postoperative instructions vary from surgeon to surgeon. Please check with your surgeon for further direction.

Best wishes for your recovery,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

+1

Dear BigTwins,

Thank you for your question.  I allow my patients to sleep on their sides after a week with their legs and knee bent to relax their incision.  However, surgeons have different preferrences.  Check with your surgeon.

Best Wishes,

Pablo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Drains and tummy tucks

+1

I take all  tummy tuck drains out at 2 days and have done so fo 30 years and NEVER regretted it.   The argument to leave them in is that you may get a seroma and that almost never happens.  If a seroms occurs it is soooo easy to drain with a tiny needle. Drains are sites for infection, they cause pain, and they hamper your mobility.    Ask your surgeon about this.  I do very big liposuctions and very very big tummy tucks and i can tell you,  you likely do not need these drains this long.  This is my opinion and the way I practice.  My substantial success over 30 years justifies my position.    You must talk to your surgeon but again this is my very strong opinion.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Post op routine after TT

+1

You describe a fairly typical routine after tummy tuck - make sure that your surgeon has provided you with a written set of post operative instructions to refer to - we go over this document in detail with all of our surgical patients.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS