Where to Begin the Battle Vs. Huge Stomach and Breasts

I'm 39. I am 5.4" tall and weigh 219lbs. I am still fairly attractive but I can't seem to find where to begin the battle. My average weight has been around 145. I am comfortable there, I've had a complete thyroid panel recently all WNL. I have a stocky frame but I can live with that. It's this huge stomach and the breasts that rest on it. I get depressed and eat more, seriously i need solid educated advice as to where to start. Please only respond with respect.

You need Bariatric Surgery, not Plastic Surgery

+2

Plastic surgery is not a primary treatment for obesity. It can reshape some, tighten a bit, but it fundamentally won't give you an ideal figure, nor will it make you any healthier.

For the best looking YOU, for the healthiest YOU, weight loss is a necessity. If you can succeed with behavioral modification, diet, and exercise, that is the best. But few manage to take a lot off and keep it off that way. You should try it, and if you conclude that you cannot do it "yourself," then you should consider bariatric surgery.

LapBand and gastric bypass are just two of the procedures that can work. You need to see a good bariatric surgeon in your area and listen to what he or she recommends.

Realize that no plastic surgeon done on someone 5'4" and 219 pounds can make that patient look as good - or be as healthy - as if that patient loses a substantial amount of their excess body weight.

Weight Loss and Surgery

+1

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your decision to make positive changes.

As you know, the battle begins with weight loss. Consultation with weight loss experts will be helpful. Once you reach your  stable weight plastic surgical procedures will be helpful.

Before you get to the plastic surgeon's office you have hard work in front of you  but I have seen many patients accomplish their goals once they put their minds to it.

Where to begin the battle vs huge stomach and breasts

+1

Easy answer: LOSE WEIGHT first. Go get opinions from weight loss experts and start. 145 pounds and now over 200 pounds, start the program ASAP. Regards from MIAMI

Dealing with obesity

+1

In most cases of obesity the issue is multifactorial. Anyone who is serious about losing weight and who cannot get things going on their own needs to seek professional help. That professional help should be with physicians who have the experience to deal with the complex issues of medical, emotional and social situations that lead to obesity.

You can do it but you need help.

Don't run to the plastic surgeon for help because even though you can find someone to operate on you that is not the solution in most cases.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss

+1

You need to discuss this first with an internist or endocrinologist and not plastic surgeons. Following a thorough evaluation, your options are to undergo medically supervised weight loss with or without the use of medication and/or supplements. Following this, use of bariatric surgery may be your most effective solution but it is only a band-aid and not a cure.

Size issues

+1

I would expect all doctors to respect you and your issues, they are serious to you.

By my calculations (iPhone, "find my BMI" app), your BMI is 38, you are class 2 obese. Accordingly, your weight range should be 146-108 lbs.

In practical terms, you need to address your weight for health reasons. It is time. I would recommend a trip to your primary doctor to get your weight down and under control. You may also want to look into a legit medical weight loss clinic, or bariatric surgery. Of course, exercise should fit into the program as well.

After weight loss, you should expect your breasts and abs to shrink. That said, you may require plastic surgery to correct the stigmata of weight loss.

I urge you to take action.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Plastic Surgery and The Overweight Patient

+1

From your description your present BMI is 37.6 kg/sq meter (with 30 and above being "obese" and 40 and above being "morbidly obese"). Although your ideal body weight is around 120.6, you really do not need to get there. If you could get your weight back to 145 pounds your BMI would be 25 - which is GREAT.

The results of Cosmetic surgery in people close to their ideal BMI are VASTLY better than when done with BMI's over 30. The rate of complications associated with surgery on BMI's over 30 are also much higher.

I know that if you could correct your depression and lose the weight gradually by finding a program of correct eating and exercise, the vast majority of Plastic surgeons would Love to operate on you. Your Before and Afters and your results would be stunning!

When we see patients who lost a lot of weight their bodies undergoes a deflation which translates into a tummy overhang and sagging empty breasts. These can be nicely fixed in one or two stages, based on your preference, with a Tummy Tuck and a Breast Augmentation Lift (Augmentation Mastopexy).

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Begin the battle with diet and exercise

+1

I agree with my colleagues that plastic surgery is not the quick fix to your problems. I would advise that you begin dieting and exercise to lose weight and feel better.

If you have difficulty doing this on your own, seek out the help of a weight loss specialist and registered dietician. You may also be a candidate for bariatric surgery. It would be in your best interest to seek out a board certified general surgeon who performs bariatric surgery to see if you are a candidate.

Once you have gotten down to your goal weight and have been able to maintain this for at least 6 months, I would then recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon to address your abdomen and breasts.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix to losing weight quickly and safely, however, losing weight in a supervised and controlled fashion will give you rewarding, predictable and long lasting results.

Good luck.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgery and weight gain

+1

From your stated height and weight, I believe you are best served by seeking help from a nutritionist or a doctor who specializes in weight loss. Certainly you do not want to consider plastic surgery at this time. Begin by entering a medically supervised exercise and weight loss regime and see what happens after 3 months. Many clinics abound, and places like Kaiser may have departments that can help you . Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Where to begin with a large breasts and abdomen

+1

I hear a sincere tone in your words. You have made the first step by admitting you are depressed and you are not eating nor exercising correctly. Before breast reduction and/or lift, and reduction of your abdomen, you should try to get in better shape so that you heal better after surgery. Also you don't want to have surgery and invest in the treatment if you haven't learned how to live more healthy on a daily basis. I would strongly suggest you consult with a nutitionist who can not only educate you as to the best way to manage your caloric intake, but by having followup appointments the nutionist acts like a coach or a trainer and it pushes you to perform for someone not just yourself.if you don't do this and just have surgery you'll be fighting the constant battle of obesity forever. You can do it! Good luck.

Ronald Shelton, MD