Basic Settings for Fraxel Restore?

I just went to see 2 board-certified dermatologists about a Fraxel Restore treatment and I was amazed at the difference between the settings they each recommended for the same facial problem. Since after all it's our money that's spent, I'd like to know what the basic variables that can be changed on this machine and what they mean in terms of treatment intensity.

Fraxel Restore and its settings

+1

Fraxel Restore utilizes a 1550nm wavelength of light in a fractional pattern to help reduce fine lines, brown spots and improve texture such as acne scars.  The settings of the density of the fractional pattern and the energy (millijoules) which corresponds to the depth of effect, are adjusted by the physician based on your condition and the experience of the physician.  Some doctors are very aggressive and use high energies and high densities, others like to build up slowly. Superficial pigmentation needs low energies and acne scars need higher mJ (millijoules) of energy.  As the density (treatment level) increases, the discomfort increases. Some people have a higher pain threshold and can tolerate more discomofort so the treatment level might increase quickly from treatment to treatment from 7 to 11+. Pigment issues might be treated by an energy of 12 mJ +/- but acne scars may be treated by 60 - 70 mJ.

Basic Settings for Fraxel restore Laser

+1

Hi,

Fraxel restore laser settings are adjustable to fit the unique individual needs of each patient.  The basic variables that are adjustable are the depth of penetration of the laser into the skin (energy in millijoules), and the percentage of the skin that is covered by the laser treatment (treatment level).   The energy levels vary from 5mj to 70 mj, while the treatment levels vary from 9% to about 30%.  The higher the energy and percentageof coverage, the higher the intensity of the treatment.

Ask each of your physicians what their reasoning behind their treatment levels is, and then you can make an educated choice.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD