Removed Basal Cell From Nose 3 Weeks Ago, Now Left With Redness and Bumps/Scars?

Hello , i had a basal cell cancer on my nose , I did a plastic surgery remove the part and the test result was fine . now it is about 3 weeks from the surgery and I can see redness on my nose with bump and scars . Does it mean I have basal cancer again ? What are your recommendations ? Thank you

Recovery after Mohs Surgery and Reconstruction

+1

The good news is that in most cases, bumps and redness in the first few weeks after surgery are much more likely due to irritation from sutures and wound healing than they are to be due to recurrence of the cancer.  Over a period of weeks, months (really up to a year), redness and bumpiness typically improve.

If there is more redness or tenderness than you'd expect, it is always wise to have your doctor examine you to exclude infection (or much less likely recurrence of the treated skin cancer).

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Bumps and Scars after Plastic Surgery Removal of Skin Cancer

+1

The likelihood of there being persistent skin cancer in the location is low, but you should return to the surgeon for examination of the area. It is possible that the wound healing is normal, but you could have an infection or reaction to a topical antibiotic or reaction to suture material. The likelihood of persistence or recurrence of basal cell carcinoma after surgical removal without Mohs is about 10% (if the lesion had not been treated before) so it is not likely to be a recurrence or persistence of the skin cancer. What you need to do is see the doctor who performed the surgery so that he/she can examine the surgery site. Good luck. 

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Skin Cancer

+1

Basal cell carcinoma is a very slow growing tumor.

I doubt that you have a recurrence already in 3 weeks.

Your scar will be red, there may be suture reaction. Best is to see your surgeon who can examine you and give a better advise

See your surgeon

+1

my recommendation is to see your surgeon and your dermatologist. Tehy will examine you and address your concerns. We cannot tell you if it is an infection, scar tissue, or recurrent cancer. Sorry.

Matthew Schulman, MD