Can I Have Bariatric Surgery Again After a Reversal?

I had a RNY Gastric Bypass done in October of 2004. I had to have a reversal done 8/10 due to a stricture that would not stay open. It kept closing shut. Can I have bariatric surgery again? My BMI is now over 40 and I am miserable.

Bariatric surgery after reversal

+1

Reversal for stricture is unusual as this can typically be managed with stenting in the most severe cases.  More commonly reversal is required for persistent ulcer problems.  I have had to perform this only 5 times in nearly 2000 gastric bypass procedures.  In the last few years I have gone to converting these patients to a sleeve rather then simply reversing.  This may still be an option for you, although undertaken at somewhat higher risk.  Placement of a lap band can almost always be performed regardless of prior surgery.

Santa Barbara Bariatric Surgeon