Why is There So Much Controversy About Laser Eye Surgery?

There are many websites to warn people about the dangers of laser vision correction. These sites basically say that Laser surgery damages every eye by thinning out the cornea and put you at risk of Keratoconus in future. There is also a petition to ban the procedure and several people have already signed it. Will Laser vision correction get banned because of the long term dangers such as Keratoconus ? If its safe procedure than why is there so much controversy about laser eye surgery?

What is real?

+1

Unfortunately, because many rely on the internet and what it says, many people are skeptical when it comes to Lasik. Misinformation, false advertisements, and price wars affect the quality that Lasik has. As far as Keratoconus, researchers are still not sure what are the causes. Mostly genetics is involved, but Laser vision correction is safe under expert hands. 

Beverly Hills Ophthalmologist

LASIK vs LASEK vs glasses

+1

The risk of losing vision from wearing contacts due to poor hygiene overwear not changing them often enough or sleeping in them is actually higher over ten years than getting LASEK. LASEK is ten times safer than the LASIK I used to perform and I had myself and has a vastly lower risk of causing Keratoconus. The FDA is doing a followup study 

New York Ophthalmologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.