How to Get Rid of Bands of Excess Skin Around my Neck?

I have had bands of excess skin around my neck since birth. I've been researching neck lifts but the procedure seems to be geared toward older patients. I'm in my early 20's, I'm not overweight, and the elasticity of my skin is fine. Any ideas as to what may help?

Treatment for horizontal bands of excess neck skin

+2

These complete horizontal bands around the neck are very difficult to get rid of.  Other than doing a face/neck lift for excess skin, there are really no other options.  Direct excision of excess skin through a skin crease in your neck would probably create a noticeable scar and be unacceptable to you.

Excess bands of neck skin

+2

You may have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome or a variant of it. This is a disease that affects the bodies metabolism/manufacturing of collagen. Some of the variants are benign and others potentially life threatening. For further information you can view the following websites

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehlers-Danlos_syndrome

http://www.ednf.org/

The only treatment is removal of the excess skin as in a facelift but I am not sure you will be able to find a credible surgeon to do it given your edge and the possibility that you have EDS.

Aaron Stone, MD

The only effective and safe method for removing skin in excess

+1

Hi there-

Whether in your neck, abdomen, or breasts, if you have an excess of skin (and especially if that skin has lost some of its quality as well) the only safe and reliably effective management is surgical excision.

Obviously you want the outcome to be attractive, and you want to be kept safe- therefore I strongly recommend that you find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and visit for a consultation.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Excess skin in neck

+1

It is unusual for a young person to have excess skin in theneck unless they have had massive weight loss or have other disorders. The only way to remove the excess skin is be excising it.

Neck Lift

+1

It is very unusal to hand neck bands at your age. Furthermore, it is unusual to have the bands in a circumferential manner. Usually with ageing, bands of muscle and skin laxity occur vertically. Nevertheless, if the bands are true skin laxity, you r best bet would be to do a surgical neck lift. Good luck

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Neck Bands & Wrinkle treatment

+1

Many potential factors which contribute to the appearance of the neck, including skin, muscle, fat, bone, cartilage, and glands. Treatment is based on the etiology of the neck banding. For younger patients, Botox cosmetic for neck wrinkles is a great option. Liposuction is an alternative for those with excess neck fat. Lastly, neck lift surgery with a face lift is appropriate for older individuals to tighten and rejuvenate the lower face & neck.

For young patients, especially in their twenties, I would start with Botox Cosmetic. Botox treatment is quick with less risk than plastic surgery. Typically, cosmetic surgery is reserved for older individuals.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon or cosmetic specialist advise you on the most appropriate options.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Excess Skin Neck Bands; Surgery Best, Fraxel repair Best Non-surgical Option

+1

Hi GG,

I agree that surgery is the best method to remove the excess skin from your neck. The best non-surgical treatment would be a series of Fraxel repair treatments, from 2 to 3 separated by about 4 to 6 months. It is not the same as surgery, but many of my patients who do not wish to undrgo surgery are very happy with their neck results.  I agree with others here that you should first make sure that you do not have a connective tissue disorder.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Encino

Michael A. Persky, MD

Excess Neck Skin

+1

The operative word (no pun intended) is EXCESS SKIN. There is NO effective non-surgical modality on the market today which would remove all the skin laxity your photograph demonstrates.

A Neck Lift is NOT an operation for old peiole - it is an operation which removes excess neck skin, tightens the underlying platysma neck muscle pillars and restores the jaw to neck from an oblique to a youthful acute angle.

While other considerations and conjectures may be intellectually interesting it will not correct your neck. A neck Lift will.

Neck bands

+1

since you have had these bands since birth, there may be some defect in your infrastructure and possibly surgery may have a higher risk in you than in a patient who doesn't have an disorder of the collagen or elastic properties of the skin. Even non-invasive radiofrequency with Thermage might have more risk in you than someone without these bands. Proceed cautiously and consider a test in one area before having the whole area done if you consider Thermage.

Ronald Shelton, MD