How Much Bandaging from Facelift?

I am an older mom (48). How much facial bandaging would be required for a face lift? Would I scare my children if I had too many bandages on my face? I would like to do this procedure while my husband is out of town and my kids are in school. I can hire a babsitter to pick them up, but they of course they would still see me bandaged. Please advise.

Bandages following Facelift

+3

The type and extent of bandages you will require following Facelift surgery will depend in large part on the extent of your surgery. For a full Facelift I would leave the bandages on for 24 hours and the day after surgery change the dressing to something smaller and remove any drains that were placed. The second part of your inquiry is a little more difficult to answer. Any trauma to your face that your children see will likely be disturbing to them. You may want to wait until your husband is in town so that a familiar and comforting presence is around for both you and your children when you decide to undergo your Facelift procedure.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Vast Majority of Facelift Patients Require Dressings for about 24 to 48 Hrs Following Surgery

+2

Post operative care varies from patient to patient following facelift surgery. The extent of the post operative dressings is dependent upon the extent of the surgical procedure. Although not every patient requires bandages, the vast majority require dressings for about 24 to 48 hours following the procedure.

It’s important for patients to have a good support system in the post operative period. Having people around you who have knowledge of your operation can make this a much better experience. For these reasons, I feel it would be a mistake to try to hide your procedure from your family. It’s also important to understand that you will need a caregiver for at least 24 hours even if your family doesn’t know about your facelift. In the post operative period, any type of strenuous activity might increase your complication rate. For these reasons, make sure you have assistance in accomplishing daily activities including child care.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Bandaging After Facelift

+2

One will have a soft bandage that will be in place for 1-2 days. We normally keep our patients for 1-2 days in our nursing facility for comfort. When the patient goes home they really have nothing on as our nurses shampoo and wash their hair before leaving.

Bandaging after facelift

+2

This varies from no bandaging at all to heavy bandaging. The important thing is that your family should know about it and support you during your recuperative period.

Trying to hide this from your family is usually a mistake and can significantly detract from you overall experience.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Bandaging After Facelift

+1
The extent of bandaging that will be required after a Facelift will depend on the Surgeon you see and the extent of the "Facelift" that is performed.  Some Surgeons perform more comprehensive procedures that will necessitate some degree of bandaging and/or drains, and some perform more minimalistic procedures that do not.  Please bear in mind that more comprehensive procedures (in the right hands) are more likely to yield more impressive and durable results.  When considering that the ultimate goal for a Facelift patient is to have a pleasing result that lasts for a long time, a Surgeon's offer of no bandages and no downtime is somewhat meaningless.  Every Surgeon would prefer a minimally invasive, zero downtime procedure.  However, this usually not always feasible to meet the expectations of most aging face patients. 

Web reference: http://www.drprendiville.com/facelift.html

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift dressings

+1

In my practice I apply bandages for 48 hrs post op and I doubt that these would be very scary for middle school kids.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Bandage

+1

With a facelift, it is not necessary to bandage the entire face.  You will have a drain at the back of your head and sutures in front of your ear that will be visible, along with some swelling and bruising.  There will be some downtime with a facelift, so it's important to plan time for that.

Web reference: http://www.hallplasticsurgery.com/face-lift-austin.html

Bandaging from facelift

+1

Depending on your plastic surgeon and the technique used most patients go home same day of procedure with a bandage covering the majority of your head and neck with your face exposed. Typically, this bandage is replaced the next day with a wrap (ace bandage) going under your chin/neck and secured at the top of your head. There are many ways to "camouflage” the wrap around your head such as wearing a scarf“Jackie~o”style leaving your face exposed yet covering the wrap. We can’t predict how your children will react, remember you will have swelling and bruising but, as far as bandages go…the wrap, after the initial bandaging (first 24 hours) is fairly minimal, not so "scarey". Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to see what type of bandage and wrap they use post operatively and if you are a good candidate.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Much Bandaging from Facelift?

+1

We do not use any bandages after a facelift.  Some physicians do use various garments.  We have found that it has no bearing on the overall healing process.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

How Much Bandaging from Facelift

+1

The amount of bandaging varies from surgeon to surgeon.  I do not use any bandaging on facelifts.  I will use a drain on each side for a few days.

Web reference: http://www.drvitenas.com/facelift.html