In the mechanism of action of BOTOX, does the nerve ending always regenerate?

Is there any cases where the nerve ending does not grow back, resulting in permanent paralysis or damage of any sort? Thanks so much.........

Nerve regeneration

+1
Botox is used to cosmetically remove wrinkles by temporarily paralyzing muscles. Yes the nerve endings always regenerate and there would be no permanent nerve damage .

Botox mechanism of action

+1
Botox does block the receptors but temporarily.  It is true that there is also nerve regeneration after Botox, which is why some movement begins before the botox completely wears off but the Botox's effect on the nerve is temporary anyway and I've never seen any patient not completely recover function after it wears off.  In some patients though, the results last longer than others with some lasting 6 months or more.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox works...

+1

Botox works by blocking the acetycholine receptors and thereby preventing the signal for the n=muscle to contract o thorough. Botox does not damage nerves or nerve endings

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Does the nerve ending ever not regenerate after Botox

+1
I have injected Botox for about 20 years. I have never seen a permanent effect of it or had anyone with any nerve ending that did not regenerate.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

No permanent effect of Botox

+1
I have been using Botox for 20 years and have not seen any permanent effect of it. So the good news is that any adverse effects are temporary, the bad news is you have to repeat the injections every few months to maintain the effect.

Richard Baxter, MD