What happened to my neck? And can it be fixed? (Photo)

Surgery was 3-1/2 months ago. Went to 3 month check up and ask the PS what was going on with my neck and if lipo was done. His reply was he did nothing work and to come back in a year. My neck is getting worse. My old neck ws droopy but at least smooth. I am regretting my decision to have this done. Will it improve over time? Or can it be fixed?

Neck Lift

+1
You should ask to see the operative reports and take them to another BC PS in your area to review what was done.  It looks like possible scarring from liposuction but I can't be sure from your photos.

Neck liposuction deformity is obvious

+1
Thank you for your question.  I'm very sorry to see and hear of your unhappy results.  Most likely neck liposuction created the deformity which shows in your photograph. The surgeon may have attempted corset platysmaplasty as well but I do not see a scar beneath your chin. Correction may require a neck lift and possibly fat grafting in an attempt to smooth the contours.  Results like this occur when too aggressive liposuction is done and this sat directly beneath the skin is removed.

Please consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in neck lift surgery, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

What happened to my neck and can it be fixed?

+1
There appears to be some post surgical scarring and it is unclear what exact procedure was done. At 3 1/2 months, the scar tissue is still in the process of remodeling itself. It is possible there may be some improvement with time. However, you may require a revision to better drape the skin over that area and maybe even correct the position of the muscle underneath. It takes a full year for a scar to mature, so please wait a little longer. 

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wrinkly neck after procedure...

+1
You can ask your surgeon for a copy of the operative report and you can find out just what was done.  Regardless, your surgeon doesn't sound like a very compassionate chap.  Massage and time can help but you need to know what happens if it doesn't help... and if there is a time limit (mine is one year) to seek revisions, you should know what that is and what kinds of potential costs you are looking at to have a revision so you don't disqualify yourself just because you returned 'after' the expiration date.

Curtis Wong, MD

Be patient

+1
Hopefully, with massage and time these irregularities will improve.  However, if after 6-12 months, the problem is not resolved, a revision may be required to improve the area. 

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck contour irregularities

+1
Hi Poppy,

Thanks for the photos. From the photos it looks like you've just had liposuction to the area that is just under your chin and around the neck. I can't see any evidence of a scar under the chin that would indicate that you've had an open neck lift with a 'submental' or anterior approach. One common issue with liposuction of the neck can be a excessive hollowing of this area and it can be a challenge to fix.

The skin always has a certain capacity to redrape over these areas but, at three months already I would have expected it to settle a little better. I suspect it will not improve that much more over time.

It can definitely be fixed and I would suggest a more formal neck lift with repair of the underlying muscle in the middle called the platysma. When combined with an incision around the ear and wide undermining it would be my choice for evening out the excess skin over a wider area. When done correctly it can be a powerful tool to beautifully rejuvenate the neck. If, after fixing the muscle in the middle, there was still a contour deformity some careful precise fat grafting might also be helpful.

Kindest regards,

Alex

Alexander Phoon, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon