Could fat transfer correct the asymmetry in my breasts and make them firmer? (photo)

One breast is slightly larger than the other and has a slightly different shape. I do not want implants but its very hard to find doctors who do fat transfer to breasts. I'm looking for a doctor within 3 hours of me who does good work. My breasts have always lacked fullness despite being C cups. In a sports bra my chest can turn completely flat. Will a fat transfer help make my breasts fuller?

Could fat transfer correct the asymmetry in my breasts and make them firmer?

+1

The fat transfers can make your breasts fuller, but success usually requires two surgeries due to fat resorption.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fat transfer breast augmentation...absolutely!

+1
Dear Maryland, You have touched on a very exciting and very hot topic currently in plastic surgery, that of breast augmentation with fat grafting. Plastic surgeons have been familiar with fat grafting techniques for decades now. Due to safety concerns, such as how does it affect breast cancer detection, fat grafting to the breasts has historically been an almost taboo subject...until recently. Advances in mammography techniques and increasing experience in mammography reading have allowed fat grafting to the breast to assume a safe and popular role in both reconstruction of breasts lost to cancer (appropriate that you asked the question during breast cancer awareness month) and cosmetic breast augmentation. There are many plastic surgeons now performing the procedure, probably in your own city. Be prepared, however, that you may need more than one seesion of fat grafting, as only a percentage of the fat survives ( somewhere between 50 and 80%). Also, from your photo, I'm not sure that you have enough fat to donate (a good thing). Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

+1

Yes! I offer this type of breast surgery. So you just have to research more to find an expert in fat grafting to the breasts...And you may need two operations to achieve the best results to shape and volume. Fat grafting is improving daily by the understanding of the techniques and physiology of fat, therefore the unpredictability of results is now less common.

Fat transfer to breasts

+1
Sorry to be different from my colleagues but I am not a big fan of fat transfer given the resorption of the fat and the unpredictibility of the operation. I would probably place two differently sized implants and do a lift on the left side at the same time to achieve the best result. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

#BreastFatInjection

+1

Your posted photo shows the left breast is larger and positioned lower on the chest and the left breast creast is lower than the right. Although fat grafting can make the right larger and closer in shape to the left, it alone will not fix the position of the breast or make the creases be at the same level. If you decide to go with fat grafting make sure surgeon places widely distributed very small grafts and be prepared to go for multiple sessions to get the end result. I have seen some disastrous results due to too much fat being injected in large grafts in an attempt to do it all in one session. That patient could have a good result with smaller grafts placed over 2 or 3 sessions.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Fat Transfer Options

+1

Hello, based on your photo you appear to be a good candidate for fat transfer. The procedure has received a lot of press recently and there have been exciting advances in fat transfer techniques over the past ten years that provide better and more predictable results.

Fat transfer is an excellent option for women seeking augmentation without implants. We frequently perform both primary and revision augmentation with fat transfer. Our website provides information regarding fat transfer and you may find our recent blog post on fat transfer for breast reconstruction interesting.

If you would like to learn more about the procedure and our results please contact the office for a consultation.

Best regards

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augment

+1

You could probably get away with fat transfer, it may require two stages though to get enough fat in to make things symmetric, look in the Boston and New York area lots of PS doing it there

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC