Ball Point Nose Tip - How Can I Fix it?

I'm 22 and throughout the past 2 years I haven't liked how the shape my nasal tip has changed into a "ball point tip" as opposed to blending in with my nose like it did before. I went to a surgeon and he told me that he would change my tip by adding cartilage and giving more volume, which didn't really sound like something I wanted. I've had no previous procedures done on my nose. My question is if there is a way to fix my problem by manipulating my existing tip cartilages? Or how can it be fixe

How to change a "ball" nose tip.

+2

David, your nose does look as if it has changed, but these changes are so subtle that no one but you would ever notice this! That being said, there are always patients like you who have an unthinking comment or a too-long stare end up validating your own nose-negative self-appraisal. I'd first try to talk you out of trying to change a perfectly normal and handsome nose. HONEST!

Still, even with the understanding that each of us is our own worst self-critic, and that no one else really cares nearly that much (except the occasional professional photographer, model agent, or beauty critic--and what do they really know about the psychology of self-esteem?) about the extremely tiny differences in your nose tip's changes, it is indeed your nose to love or hate, and it is our job as plastic surgeons to try to help you achieve your realistic goals if they are within reach of a skilled and conservative procedure and healing process. This may be via temporary injection, or permanent surgery, each with their own risks, pros, cons, and limitations. (Cost, too!)

Seek the advice, via direct consultation, with at least three experienced, board-certified plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons who do lots of nose surgery, and have at least ten years experience! Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Ball pont nasal tip

+2

Yes. The cartilage of the tip can be re-arranged to change its geometry to get the result you want without the need to add cartilage.

Seek an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Dr Siegel

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

What options exist to correct a ball-point nasal tip?

+2

There are many options for correcting an button or ball-point tip nose.  The most important question is: changing it to what?  The simplest technique would be injection rhinoplasty.  With this technique, an injectable filler is used to reshape the nose.  Results are generally good and the procedure takes about 15-20 minutes.  Surgically, it is possible to break the spring of the domal cartilage by scoring.  This softens the appearance of the tip and can be done in a short amount of time with a quick recovery.  Another simple option is rim grafting.  With this technique, a sliver of cartilage is placed along the nostril edge.  The net effect is a blending of the tip and alar sidewall.  It does not enlarge the nose in any way and is also a minimally invasive procedure.  Finally, if a more drastic approach is necessary, cartilage reorientation works extremely well.  This procedure changes the orientation of the domal cartilage to flatten the angle of the tip.  It is a technically demanding procedure and should only be done by experienced surgeons.

Obviously, the choices are daunting and I would highly recommend a skilled board-certified rhinoplasty surgeon to help guide you to the right choice.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reshaping a "ball" tip

+2

You may be a candidate for tip reshaping sutures and/or "strut" grats to reshape your tip cartilages. This can be done without "adding volume" to the tip.  Good luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ball Point Nasal Tip

+1

It is difficult to answer your question after seeing just one view of your nose. In thick skinned patients who are underprojected, cartilage grafts or changes in the contour of the  tip cartilages will improve tip definition. I personally prefer changing the underlying  cartilage structure rather than using fillers.

Changing tip

+1

Boy, this is a tough question to answer without really getting a full view of your nose and figuring out exactly what you are not happy with.  If you want it more refined sutures may help. If you want more fullness sometimes cartilage grafts are necessary.

Rhinoplasty - ball point tip

+1

I agree with the other surgeons that placement of filler will help soften the sharp look of the cartilages to you nose.  If you start with a temporary filler, you can feel assured that if you don't like the look, the material will slowly dissolve over 4-6 months.  Regardless, it's important you feel that you surgeon have a complete understanding of what you are hoping to achieve.  I'm sure whomever you see would be happy to speak with you and answer all your questions to your satisfaction.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Creative use of injectables to improve skeletonized tip

+1

Over the years the natural fullness of the tip of the nose decreases and re-establishing the fullness can lead to a more youthful look.  Temporary, FDA Approved,  fillers can give you an idea of what it may look like and then a more permanent procedure such as fat grafting or a cartilage graft will likely solve the issue.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Ball point nasal tip

+1

The use of fillers could mask the apperance of your cartilages and provide gentle blending of the tip into the remaining portions of the nose.

A well-performed Injectable Filler treatment may be used to increase the width of the tip of your nose.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos. The narrowness of your tip is accentuated by the deepening of your supra-alar creases on either side of your tip. In my practice, this may be improved by an Injectable Filler treatment. My personal preference is to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler, for permanent results. Make sure your doctor is skilled in the delicate art of using fillers for nasal enhancement, and look at many photos before proceeding.

I've attached a link to my non-surgical rhinoplasty photos on my RealSelf page for your perusal.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon