I had saline implants under the muscle two weeks ago. When can I resume horseback riding? (photos)

24 years old 400cc saline implant Under the muscle High profile I am almost two weeks out from my breast augmentation. I had 400 cc of saline under the muscle, high profile. I am 24 and live a very active lifestyle. At this point I am in no pain or discomfort. My question is when will it be ok for me to start riding my horse again? I am looking at special equestrian bra's that are supposed to dramatically reduce bounce. When I asked my doctor about riding now he just said "probably not"

6 weeks and wear a good bra

+1
The issue with horseback riding is the bounce. For this reason, I suggest you wait until 6 weeks, and remember to wear that special equestrian bra that you mentioned! However, you should ask your surgeon for their advice as it may be different. 

Horseback Riding After Breast Augmentation

+1
It is important for you to discuss this further with your Board Certified plastic surgeon to obtain more specific guidelines for your post-op activities. If you were my patient, I would advise you to wait at least three weeks to begin horseback riding, and then let pain be your guide. Should you experience pain when riding, then stop, Wait a few days. Try again. Always listen to your body. The equestrian bra will be helpful, though do avoid wearing an underwire bra for at least six weeks.

Karen Singer, MD

Exercise after augment

+1
The best advice is to do what your surgeon recommends as he is in the best position to know your individual case. But you can certainly ask him when he would recommend that you start riding and be a little more specific than "probably not." Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

How long should the wait time be for horseback riding after saline implants under the muscle?

+1
Thanks for your question!

My typical advice for my patients is that they should wait 3 weeks before resuming any vigorous exercise or heavy lifting.  However, even though you no longer feel pain, you are still healing.  For something as active as horseback riding, I would advise waiting 6 weeks.  It's always better to be safe than sorry, in my opinion.  Once you start horseback riding again, I think wearing that equestrian bra would still be a good idea.

Good luck! 

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

When can I resume horseback riding?

+1
Very nice result.  You need to go with your surgeons advice.  Ask him to be more specific than "probably not".  I tell my patients not to do any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for two weeks but we also have a lot of horseback riders here and I prefer them to wait a few more weeks.  The saline implants will be more prone to the "water hammer" effect of the bouncing as well,so the use of good support is essential when you do resume riding.

Lars Enevoldsen, MD
Modesto Plastic Surgeon

BBA

+1
If you were my patient, I wouldn't allow it for 6 weeks.  You should follow the advice of your PS.  Best.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)