Dark bruises and pigmentation after sclerotherapy?

I have done sclerotherapy in Nov 23 for one leg and I have developed spots and dark bruises. The injected large veins turned dark and the surrounded area got pigmented as well. It has been 4 weeks since then and the pigmentation is frustrating and my leg looks very ugly. I didnt want to do the other leg cause I dont like the result, my leg got worse. Do you think the pigmented veins and dark bruises will ever fade out? and how long it takes to disappear? I am worried. Many thanks

Hyperpigmentation after sclerotherapy

+1
We routinely recommend studies to ascertain if there is concurrent or contributing venous insufficiency - whether it is of the truncal type or perforator type - before we treat spider veins, reticular veins on varicose veins with sclerotherapy. As well, we ask our patients to use topical products like VenoQuin and VenoLucent to reduce hyperpigmentation which occurs with sclerotherapy as fragile veins extravasate blood products which have potential to cause pigmentation of the skin. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Usually looks worse before looking better.

+1
Sclerotherapy is a process and following sclerotherapy treatment the veins and leg tend to look worse before they look better.  Following sclerotherapy some veins will dissolve immediately, some will dissolve over about 6 weeks and some will need to be retreated. I think that you need more time to heal and everyone is different.  If you have black and blue marks, these will heal over time.  If you have brown pigmentation from the injections then this will take longer to heal but it should also resolve.  You also may want to have a venous reflux exam to be certain that there is no reflux contributing to the vein formation.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon