A Couple of Questions About my Nose Tip? 95 Days Since Open Rhino.

It has been exactly 95 days since I had my open rhinoplasty, so far, I like everything about my new nose except the tip. It is really hard, looks big and round, which is why I'm a little concerned because I asked my doctor to narrow my tip. so my questions are : How long does it take for the swelling, hardness and stiffness of the tip to disappear completely? My second question, and this is the most important for me, will my tip look smaller after it heals?

Nasal tip at 3 months

+2

The nasal tip is very swollen at three months and over time it should get better. Be patient.  It should soften with time.

3 Months Post Rhinoplasty - Will The Tip Of My Nose Get Smaller?

+2

Congratulations on picking an outstanding plastic surgeon.  Your nose looks great!

Due to the poor lymphatic drainage of the nose, the nose and especially the tip, stay swollen and hard to the touch much longer than other areas of the body.  At 95 days, the tip of your nose is definitely still swollen, therefore I feel comfortable in telling you that it will be smaller and softer. 

Most rhinoplasty patients have been unhappy with their nose for quite a long time.  It usually takes about one year or more to realize how good the nose looks.  It's not unusual to look for faults or less than desired results since your brain has been dissatisfied with that portion of your anatomy.  At this point, I suggest you give yourself a break, give your nose a break.  The swelling will go down. 

There is a simple technique to tape the tip of your nose which might decrease the swelling a little faster.  I suggest you discuss this with your plastic surgeon. 

Oh yes, don't forget to congratulate him or her for giving you a fantastic looking nose.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Tip 3 Months after Rhinoplasty

+2

Your tip will continue to improve as swelling decreases and definition improves over the next 9-12 months. The firmness you describe is secondary to normal temporary swelling.

Will improve

+1

Hello. At 95 days you are nowhere close to your final results and for a full year after your procedure your cosmetic appearance will continue to improve. Much of your worries can be attributed to swelling at this stage. Just try to be patient as these trouble areas will improve.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Tip still swollen after 3 months

+1

The tip can remain swollen for several months after rhinoplasty. The swelling is typically subsided once the sensation to the tip has returned. Depending on the skin type, this can take up to a year. Thin skin patients heal faster than those with thicker skin. Be patient. The hardness you are feeling will return to normal after some time. 

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling in tip 3 months after open rhinoplasty

+1

Your tip looks big and round right now due to the swelling which is typical for 3 months out from an open rhinoplasty.The smaller tip you are seeking will come with time as the swelling goes away. It is also normal to have hardness and stiffness in the tip. You can expect the improvements to gradually appear over the next 9 months or roughly 1 year from the time of surgery. 

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD