Bags Under Eyes After Surgery? (photo)

Today is my third day after my upper eye lid surgery, swollen and bruises are getting better but my concerning now is the bags that i have under my eyes now i am so afraid then wont go away , they are like bags of water , i am putting ice and it wont go away ,please is that normal after the procedure i just had??

Lower eyelid bags after upper eyelid surgery

+2

You didnt send a picture, but this sounds totally normal. Fluid is pulled downward by gravity and often collects in the under eye area. The bags should improve over the next several weeks. Ice is always a good idea to reduce swelling. I would also recommend trying to sleep with your head elevated on several pillows. This helps reduce the pooling of fluid while you sleep.

Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bags Under Eyes After Surgery?

+1

ONLY day 3!!! The posted photo shows swelling and black & blue effect. Did not your surgeon explain the healing phases following surgery?? If not than call and see him/her ASAP to be "informed". 

Bags under eyes after blephroplasty

+1

Bags under the eyes are normal after surgery. It is most likely from swelling. Give it some time to settle down.  

Significant swelling of the lower lens after blepharoplasty is not uncommon.

+1

Any operation is associated with a certain amount of post operative swelling. Because the soft tissues of the lower lid are somewhat loose a significant amount of lower lid swelling is occasionally seen . It will resolve this time.

Swelling under eyes after upper eyelid surgery

+1

It is completely normal to have some swelling under the eyes after upper eyelid surgery and this should completely resolve with more time.  Three days after the surgery is around the time of maximal swelling, so things should start improving soon.  The swelling moves with gravity and the area of the lower eyelids is always the place where it settles last, so that is why it is the worst there.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Eyelid Surgery

+1

At this point in time in your healing, this is usually expected due to the structures of the eyelid and eyesocket and gravity. The swelling in the upper eyelids will usually resolve more quickly than that of the lower lid due to gravity. Ice and elevation help but after day 3 or 4 these are less effective and time is the main thing that will resolve this problem. It may take approximately 2-3 weeks for all of the swelling to go away since every patient is different. Your doctor may prescribe you a steroid medicine to take by mouth to help the swelling go away faster if you don't have any other reasons to prevent him/her from doing so. 

Carrie Morris, MD
Chattanooga Oculoplastic Surgeon