Is It Bad if 5 Weeks After Rhinoplasty my Nose Was Exposed to the Sun Throughout the Day?

i was in school and was outside a lot. i did put sunscreen on, but that was in the morning. i was in the sun alot when i was walking to classes at my college. will that affect my nose 5 and a half weeks after rhinoplasty surgery?

Sun exposure at 5 weeks following a rhinoplasty unlikely to have caused any damage

+2

At 5 weeks following a rhinoplasty it is unlikely that you have sustained any permanent damage particularly if there was no sunburn. If you do have an external insicion, it would be wise to use some high factor sunscreen on it.

Sun exposure

+2

You are going to get swelling but at this point it should not harm the final result.  Keep a hat in your bag or car for the next 8 weeks.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun

+2

Sun exposure early on can cause swelling that turns into scar. My rule of thumb is after six weeks sun is ok. You should be fine

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Sun and Rhinoplasty

+1
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well.  5.5 weeks is pretty close.  I'll give you a pass.  =) But wear sun block.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

Is It Bad if 5 Weeks After Rhinoplasty my Nose Was Exposed to the Sun Throughout the Day?  Although not ideal, at 5 weeks post Rhinoplasty the swelling from sun exposure should be temporary and leave no permanent issues.  As always you should contact your Rhinoplasty surgeon for specific instructions.