Bad Vaginoplasty/Labiaplasty, In a Lot of Pain, Can This be Corrected? (photo)

Six weeks ago a surgeon (urologist/FACS, excellent resume, referred by my dermatologist) sewed my perineum/labia up over the opening to my vagina, covering it like a biological chastity belt. I can't have sex or a gyne exam and am in pain from the pulling/tearing at that spot (she says I'm healing well). How do I find someone to correct? She tore right labia minora and made it one third the size of left labia minora, but I'm not correcting that--too painful.

Bad labiaplasty/vaginoplasty

+3

You appear to have had a trimming labiaplasty and a perinoplasty.  Your pain should significantly improve for the next 3-4 months.  As for the perinoplasty, that can be revised so that it is not high and does not interfere with intercourse, but I would wait.  Your right labium minora has be over-removed with lumps, and the left labium is also irregular.  It is common to have persistent pain with the trimming labiaplasty, which should improve also with time.  If you wish to have your labia minora reconstructed, I would not attempt it until you are at least 5 months post-surgery. No attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will be better,  and the swelling will be less.  You need to control your anxiety and wait.  The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction.  I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago.  You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone.  You only get one more good chance to reconstruct you so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Painful Vaginoplasty/Labiaplasty

+3

I am sorry to hear that you are having pain after this procedure. Usually after 6 weeks the scars have healed enough that pain is not a problem and you hcan have sex without any difficulty. If the surgeon has made your vaginal opening too small there are a number of options to correct that. The first is for you to dialate the vaginal opening-  you can use a bougie (medical term) for any sort of finger dialation, or even a sex toy that will help to stretch the opening. It may take a month or so for the scar tissue to relax and stretch out. If that does not work you may need to have a surgical procedure to  open the contracting bands of tissue at the vaginal orifice by z - plasty (technical term of type of scar revision). Try the non- surgical approach first and if that does not work, seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

Problems after labiaplasty

+1
Although most patients are fairly comfortable about six weeks after labiaplasty or perineoplasty, it can take several months for some patients tissues to relax and for nerve sensitivity to go away. I would be very patient and DEFINITELY avoid rushing into surgery to repair things since further procedures will increase scarring and the possibility of nerve damage. Seek several opinions and wait at least six months before having any further procedures to correct this. It can most likely be improved, but it may never be exactly how you pictured it would look or feel unfortunately.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Correcting undesirable results post labiaplasty

+1

You really need an exam by a plastic and reconstructive surgeon.  Complications are very common in labiaplasty as this procedure is very simple but requires good judgement and diagnoses to stay out of trouble.  Most patients  with similar complaints can be corrected using a combination of z-plasty and  fat grafting to restore a natural appearance and comfort with sexual activities.  I hope this helps and I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD