If You Have a Bad Upper Eyelid Result What Should You Do?

eye Dr recommended by a Dr on this site. I hate going to work I look so bad. Can a revision be done at 3 months. My eyelids are too big. One feels tight and is larger than the other one, it looks like I have ptosis. I had no ptosis before surgery. I have no more money for another surgery and I am not sure if I should trust the doctor who did this. Please advice what I should do. My surgery was 5 weeks ago and I could see the problems I have the day I came home from surgery. It hasent changed.

Seek a Second Opinion for Eyelid Surgery

+1

It sounds like it is too soon after surgery to determine whether or not you need an eyelid revision because the full results of surgery will not surface until week 4 - 6. It is possible that the underlying levator muscle may have been insured but impossible to tell without a full exam by an experienced and well trained plastic or oculoplastic surgeon. Because of your description of your problem together with the distress it is causing, I recommend you have a second opinion by a board certified Plastic Surgeon (American Board of Plaastic Surgery) or a board certified  Oculoplastic surgeon.

Options for bad eyelid surgey.

+1

You may consider re-posting with photos so the problem can be viewed.  That said, you are still early in your healing process and more time will allow the tissues to soften and relax and the swelling to fully disappear.  Some problems after  eye surgery will self resolve with time and massage.  This can take several months so your patience is needed. Once the tissues have reached an end point, in 6 - 12 months, then the best decision can be made of how  to correct your issue. 

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

A photograph would be very helpful.

+1

5 weeks out is not very long after eyelid surgery.  I will not insult your intelligence to suggest that with time everything will be ok.  It is certainly possible to develop ptosis after eyelid surgery.  This is a condition that can slowly improve after surgery as swelling resolves.  For this reason, the most conservative management is to careful follow the eyelids and once you are 6 to 12 months out, revisional surgery can be considered if the eyelid shape, contour and position have not recovered.

Please post a photo

+1

Your wounds are still evolving and scar will soften up over the next few months. Most surgeons would agree that waiting at least 3 months is needed to find out what your final results will be. If you ARE planning on revision, then most would agree that unless there is an absolute medical necessity for the surgery, that waiting up to a year would be idea.

Please be patient and post your photos when you are 3 months post op.

Best of luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Wait until healing is complete before passing judgment on the results of an operation.

+1

Your problem may well require a revision but possibly not.  5 weeks is not so long after an operation that significant changes could still occur.  Too many patients press their surgeon for a revision when the proper treatment is the passage of time.  In the mean time, you could get another opinion or even post your pictures on this website for a number of free opinions.