Can You Compare the Vertical Incision to Remove a Turkey Wattle with a Mini Facelift? (photo)?

I was told there were two procedures to chose from to elimanate my turkey wattle? A mini face lift with a 40% improvement for $7500 OR the vertical incision down the center of my neck to remove the skin for $3000.

Turkey Wattle Options

+1

I generally catagorize these surgeries into the following:

Minilift:  a younger patient with less neck tissue and tighter skin or perhaps a patient who has had a prior facelift and is looking for a "tuck up". 

Lower Facelift with a Neck Lift:  a more traditional surgery which tightens the neck muscle (platysmaplasty) and provides sufficient lateral and vertical lift.

Direct Neck Lift:  the down side of the direct neck lift is that the patient has a vertical incision on the neck (instead of hidden aroound the ears) and the jowls (excess jaw tissue) are not improved.  It is typically reserved for older patients with medical conditions that cannot undergo the facelift.  Further some patients (typically men) actually perfer this incision to the facelift.

Remember different surgeons attack problems in many different ways.  Your surgeon will help guide you in your decision making based on your medical history, down time and expectations among other things.  Get a few opinions and find someone you connect with.  Good luck.

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neither vertical incision or mini lift will adequately address "turkey wattle"

+1

A large vertical Z-plasty or a mini lift will not address these issues adequately in the aging neck.  In the aging neck there is excess skin, fat both above and below the platysmal muscle, as well as platysmal cording.  To address this neck in the proper fashion, a comprehensive lower face/neck lift must be performed to tighten excess skin, remove fat, and a platysmaplasty to give more definition to the jaw line.

Facelift would be your best investment

+1
I would not even offer a procedure with a minimum percentage improvement versus another. If you came to my office I would suggest a full facelift with SMAS and if you did not want that I would refer you to someone else. A "mini face lift" will not provide the results you need to address the excess skin in your neck and a vertical incision scar would likely be very visible and unsatisfactory. I do not like to sound harsh in my replies however honesty is always the best policy and I hope you take this advice in your decision making.

Michael Elam, MD

Facelifts remove excess skin not mini procedures.

+1

If you want a good result go to an experienced face lift surgeon for a facelift! The two options you mentioned are both wrong.

Can You Compare the Vertical Incision to Remove a Turkey Wattle with a Mini Facelift?

+1

IMHO, the vertical incision, down the center of the neck is capable of removing more excess neck skin because it's a longer incision however, it's far more visible than an incision hidden just below the chin.  The picture shows jowling and excess in that area as well, which IMHO should also be addressed with a proper Face Lift of the minimal incision variety.  

Remember that once that vertical scar is placed in a highly visible area...it can't be reversed or undone and IMHO this is not acceptable for a woman.  You can do a minimal incision Face Lift to tighten and shape the upper face and then combine that with either a skin ellipse through an incision, under the chin that's well hidden or do a formal Neck Lift which will remove much more neck skin through a larger incision behind the ear and into the posterior scalp.

Be sure that the Face Lift Surgeon, you select, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty so your face is shaped in a naturally, youthful and attractive manner and not simply pulled giving the face the wind swept, done look.  

Turkey wattle removal

+1

The vertical excision will do a better job and last much longer but it won't help your jowls.You could have a mini face lift at the same time to help the jowls. Vertical turkey wattle removal is $3916 and mini face lift $4437 at my practice.   Dr Foster 

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Facelift options for neck laxity

+1

I think both recommendations you were given are not the best choices.  A mini lift will fail to adequately improve the neck laxity and platysmal banding.  A vertical incision with skin excision will leave an unacceptable scar.  A much better choice would be to have a SMAS imbrication facelift with platysmal reconstruction to properly reposition the supportive tissues of both the neck and lower face.  I recommend seeking an experienced facelift surgeon who will talk with you about the needs of your individual case.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for eliminating the turkey neck

+1

There are more than two procedures to address the turkey neck appearance. Both of the options that were presented to you are, in my opinion, not effective. Mini facelifts typically yield mini results. You have significant jowling and laxity in the neck. A facelift procedure that addresses the SMAS (the muscle layer of the face), as well as a platysmal plication would be most effective option for you. I have read about the vertical incision option but I have never seen it performed nor do I know anybody who performs this type of procedure. The scarring is suboptimal and there are many alternative that are much more effective.

Prices can vary depending on location, exact type of procedure, and surgeon experience. I would do at least three consultations with experienced and qualified plastic and facial plastic surgeons. Good Luck!

Todd C. Miller, MD

Many patients with turkey necks need both a facelift and platysmaplasty for at least $8500..

+1

With that much loose skin in the neck and jawline, a facelift pulling the skin of the lower face and neck back plus a platysmaplasty which is done under the chin to tighten the skin and muscle bands are both often needed and can be done under local anesthesia for roughly $8500-12,000.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Best neck laxity procedure

+1

The two recommendations you have received are BOTH WRONG.  The best option is a real facelift, not a mini or the exceedingly rare direct excision of skin in the midline.  You must have seen guys who wren't real plastic surgeons I would suspect.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS