How bad is the scar when lifting breasts with a previous augmentation?

i had an augmentation 12 years ago and i am happy with the size but would like to lift them but i wonder if the scar is really bad

No ugly vertical scar lift

+1

The technique I recommend after breast augmentation is called The Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection. This technique maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed while avoiding the ugly vertical scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lifting Can Be Accomplished In Many Ways With Minimal Scarring

+1

Dear Guerra,

Thank you for your question. Generally when women want a lift after an augmentation, it has more to do with implant malposition then need for a true lift. Dual-plane breast augmentation, the most commonly used technique (under the muscle), has a propensity to push implants to a down and out sort of position. I commonly revise these breasts to a special technique called the Cold-Subfascial Breast Revision. Using the body's own natural tissue, I am able to support an appropriate implant in a more aesthetically appealing place without adding any scars to the breast. Every patient is different and to determine what exactly would be best for you, pictures or preferably an in person consult would be necessary. I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

+1

For the lift, I typically start with the smallest incision and custom tailor each breast lift to the shortest scar possible.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast lift scars are well tolerated

+1

If your implants are under the muscle, I'm guessing that they have stayed up but over the twelve years the breast tissue has sagged causing a Snoopy deformity. In any case, the choice to perform breast lift brings along with it the need to choose the type of scar. For minor lifts, the circumareolar scar is satisfactory. It does, however, tend to flatten the breast, and if overused, can result in a widened obvious scar. The "tennis racquet" scar is the next choice, adding a vertical scar from the areola to the cease under the breast. It is used for moderate lifts and allows for coning the breast, thereby increasing projection. This vertical scar almost always heals well by about eighteen months. The anchor scar is used in major lifts, and reduces the excess skin in the vertical and horizontal plane, and also allows for coning the breast and projecting the nipple. The additional scar in the crease is well hidden, but may necessarily show laterally when there is a large fat roll to blend in.

John Cassel, MD

+1

Today breast lifting is done with much less scarring.Usually only a lollipop or circular scar around the areola gives good results .The circum-areolar scars are least noticable

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Scars from breast lift should fade well

+1

Thanks for your question. Fortunately the scars from mastopexy should heal well and fade. I think you will be pleased with your results. Make sure you are working with a Board Certified Plastic surgeon who is an ASAPS member to assure you are getting an experienced surgeon.

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Scarring with a breast lift

+1

The scars from a breast lift vary from person to person and from surgical case to surgical case. However, having done thousands of these operations, I can tell you that, in general, the scars from a breast lift heal beautifully when done well and are rarely a source of complaint from my patients. Whether or not you have had a prior breast augmentation should have little if any affect on your breast lift scars. I would recommend you seek out a local board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. good luck.

Sean A. Simon, MD

Breast scars after mastopexy

+1

depends on many factors. skin color, skin type, just how big you are, can you do a limited operation with the scar just around the areola, how carefully you follow the postoperative instructions etc. The scars can be quite acceptable and your best bet is to sit down and have a real discussion with a board certified plastic surgery.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon