How Bad the Scar Would Be if This Mole Was Removed? (photo)

I tried to remove it at home before. A part of the mole is gone, but it leave a little raised scare and a little mole still. I'm wondering how bad the scar would be if I do the surgery to remove it ?

Mole scarring

+2

Please don't try to be your own plastic surgeon or dermatologist!  First, some lesions can be malignant melanoma and shaving off a portion will prevent a proper analysis of the depth of the lesion, which is crucial in terms of treatment plans.  Second, the scar will be dependent on whether you opt to have the lesion shaved, meaning that the top layer is removed, or formally excised.  A shave will not fully excise the lesion and it can return whereas a formal excision will definitely remove it. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in consultation who can discuss the options and perform a formal examination.

Scarring from removal of a facial mole

+2

Depending on their size and location, facial moles can be easily removed by one of two methods. One is a "shave excision" where the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. The other is an excision with suture closure which uses both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures to give the best cosmetic result. Dermatologic surgeons, not plastic surgeons, typically do both procedures expertly and can decide which would be best for your particular mole. All methods of surgery will leave a scar but the trick is to minimize the scar using the proper technique.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal on the lip

+1

I would recommend mole excision with layered closure.  This would likely result in a small, barely imperceptible scar in most cases. I perform these in Los Angeles in my plastic surgery practice.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

How bad is a scar after mole removal

+1

I would recommend a shave procedure for this and you'd be left with a tiny flat pink dot. If you follow post care well, this will go away and leave a minimal mark, if anything. The fact that you already scarred this area by trying to remove it at home should remind you that only physicians should be doing removals like this. I have badly scarred patients who I am treating for various issues from trying to remove things at home themselves. It's silly - don't do it!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Mole removals usually leave minimal scarring.

+1

it would be very easy to excise this mole and do a superficial dermabrasion over the incision to minimize the scarring for roughly $500 under local. The scar would look much better than the mole. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation and possible treatment.

Sam Naficy, MD