Bad Temporary Crown?

one tooth crowned as the tooth was broken, temp crown procedure completed. Exp'd pain upon biting, on liquid diet for a wk & it remains pain upon bitting. Went back to the dentist and corrected crown and everything okay. A week later for permanent crown and it didn't fit. He re-trimmed the teeth. put on new temp crown and now 5 days later, temp crown very sensitive and still can't bite as it causes pain. Should I be concerned I might need a root canal? How long shuld I wait till pain subside?

Problem with temporary crown?

+1

pain level zero to ten usually anything greater than 6 and a pain that last more than 30 minutes I suggest you consider a root canal, usually teeth that need crown have large filling so the nerve is usually not healthy to begin with good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD   CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Pain with temporary crown

+1

Call your dentist and tell them, that once gain the temporary needs adjustment . If your pain is only experienced when you chew on it, and the pain goes away shortly after, usually root canal is NOT needed. However, the dentist has to tell you that. The tooth needs t o be examined.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Bad Temporary Crown

+1

First, go back to your dentist and explain that you cannot bite on the temp without experiencing pain. It might just be a little high, and needs to be trimmed. OR, it might need Root Canal. This decision should be made well before inserting the permanent crown.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Concern for Temporary Crown

+1

Hi.  I would return to have the dentist check the fit of the temporary.  The temp could have an open margin or be hitting high or first when you bite down.  These are the first things to be checked when a temp is sensitive.

It is possible that you may need a root canal however.  Cracked or broken teeth are the number one reason why people get root canals today.  Typically if 6  weeks have gone by and you still cannot chew on it then I would say it might be time to consider root canal therapy.  Have your dentist take an x-ray to compare to the previous x-ray.  There may be radiographic changes that would dictate root canal therapy is necessary.  Good luck.

Sarah Roberts, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist