Bad Swelling 6 Weeks After Otoplasty?

I had an otoplasty procedure 6 weeks ago, and everything looks great. I'm happy with my results but the back of my left ear is still very swollen. I still can't wear my hair up or anything because it looks deformed. Is this normal?

Otoplasty swelling...

+1

Swelling can be very different from person to person after otoplasty.  The average person has noticeable swelling for 1-2 weeks.  Sometimes, it may last longer.  Occasionally, some blood may collect in the area behind the ear.  This collection may takes several weeks to resolve, but usually it disappears completely.  It is important to discuss your concerns with your surgeon and keep your follow-up appointments for the best results.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Otoplasty

+1

Otoplasty is expected to be associated with some postoperative swelling.  Normally, the ear swelling subsides to a great extent by 10 to 14 days.   If swelling takes longer on both sides, and the swelling is soft, it may be that the patient is a bit more prone to selling and it will take longer.  Medications, such as a Medrol dose pack (a steroid medication), can speed the resolution of swelling in patients who are more prone to swell.

If one ear is more swollen than the other, several issues should be addressed by your doctor.  It is important to make sure there is no infection, or collection of blood behind the ear.  If neither is the case, it may be that you are simply taking longer to heal the one side. Hope this helps!

Dr. Bresnick

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Swelling following Otoplasty

+1

Every patient heals different.  I would encourage you to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon to see if anything that can be done to expedite your healing.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Swelling Behind Ear After Otoplasty

+1

Swelling after otoplasty typically diminishes significantly after the first week.  However, changes behind the ear can sometimes take longer.  Determine possible causes by seeing your surgeon.  These causes can include:

• Scar needing time to heal
  • Poorly aligned scar
  • Fluid collection resolving
  • Hematoma resolving
  • Post procedure scar tissue

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon