Bad Smell from Nose After Septoplasty. Took Penicillin For Infection With No Results?

I had a septoplasty surgery 6 months ago and a bad smell started coming off my nose as of 2 months ago. some infection diagnosed by my surgeon and I went on penicillin for a period of 8 days with no result. another course of penicillin prescribed but the smell came back at the end of period. there is a few bleeding in my left nasal whenever the smell starts. it goes worse whenever I get a bath. rinsing with saline water also doesn't help. please advise what I can do to get rid of the smell?

What causes a smell from the nose after nasal surgery?

+2

Early after surgery, this is the result of healing tissue or a sinus infection.  Months out from the surgery, the likely cause is a foreign body.  Have your surgeon look for an exposed stitch or other implanted material.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

You should have an examination of the inside of your nose to rule out an infection of the inferior turbinates or a septal perforation, by your Rhinoplasty Surgeon or an ENT Surgeon if he/she wants to refer you.  

Bad smell in nose after septoplasty

+1

You should see an ENT or seek a second opinion. A doctor will need to examine your nose to determine the true cause of the problem. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Bad smell after septo

+1

This is indicative of dead tissue from a perforaon or a foreign body. Have an endoscopic exam to find and cure the problem

Richard Ellenbogen, MD