Bad scar after rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had an open rhinoplasty 14 months ago. I have a terrible scar. (I have no history of bad scarring and usually heal well). My nose has various other issues as well, and I plan on having a revision in two months with a different surgeon. I was wondering if this scar can be revised during surgery, or if it will only become worse with a revision surgery since the doc has to use my old scar? I plan on asking my surgeon this as well, obviously, but I just wanted other opinions. thank you! :)

Bad scar after rhinoplasty?

+2

The scar can be revised and can likely be improved with regard to appearance.

Bad Scar after Open Rhinoplasty

+2

Your scar can be improved with a revision; this appearance is unfortunate and unnecessary. At the same time consider surgery to improve your tip asymmetry, raise your hanging columella (the tissue between your nostrils), and fill the depression above the tip.

Revision rhinoplasty scars

+2

Your scar is a little too visible because of its location and its orientation. During revision the scar should be revised and slightly re-oriented to be less obtrusive.

The bigger issue has to do with the revision itself. Revision rhinoplasty can be a daunting challenge since the tissue planes have already been compromised and the delicate cartilages that give shape to the tip have already been worked on. Be sure that you see a surgeon with American Board of Plastic Surgery certification who has had a great deal of revision rhinoplasty experience. Insist on seeing a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures so you can see the types of results that are reasonable to expect.

Transcolumellar scar excision

+2

During your revision rhinoplasty your surgeon can perform a scar revision by excising the old scar. With a meticulous, tension-free closure the appearance of the scar should improve.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Scar from Open Approach

+1

The open rhinoplasty incision usually heals extremely well, and is virtually never an issue. However, there are always exceptions, and some scars may benefit from resurfacing or revision.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon