How Bad is It to Have Rhinoplasty & Otoplasty One Week Before or After Wisdom Teeth Removal?

I know that if I deal with the teeth after rhinoplasty, they may damage the nose during the surgery. In either case, can there be complications stemming from going under anesthesia two times in a short period?(I'm not allergic to it or anything)

Rhinoplasty & otoplasty after wisdom teeth removal

+1

It is best to have the wisdom teeth removed before manipulating the nose and the ears.  Having them both done within a week or 2 is acceptable as long as the patient is in good health.

Rhinoplasty following wisdom teeth removal

+1

The interval between undergoing wisdom teeth removal and subsequent surgery will vary from patient to patient.  Issues to consider involve residual swelling from wisdom teeth extraction and also airway considerations. The anesthesia itself would not be a problem doing the two procedures one week apart. I would probably let a little more time between the procedures elapse, more like two weeks.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Rhinoplasty & Otoplasty One Week Before or After Wisdom Teeth Removal

+1

Anesthesia twice in a short time period is not a cause for concern. However, wisdom teeth extraction in the immediate post rhinoplasty period (2 weeks) is not advisable as oral and facial manipulation may interfere with the nasal healing.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Rhinoplasty & Otoplasty 1 Week Before or After Tooth Extraction

+1

I am not worried about anesthesia for these two separate procedures in close proximity. However, I would do the extraction of the wisdom teeth first and then wait 4-6 weeks for the rhinoplasty and otoplasty.  I'd be concerned about infection following dental extraction because our mouths are not sterile. Obviously, you should follow the advice of surgeons.

Not wise to have dental procedures before, or soon after, facial cosmetic surgery.

+1

Hi delac;

First of all, I do not think you have to worry about injury to your teeth during rhinoplasty.  That is almost unheard of.

The most important issue is not the issue of anesthesia.  If you are young and healthy, then having two anesthetics of the types necessary for oral surgery and cosmetic surgery poses hardly any risk. 

However, the issue is about infection.  When wisdom teeth are removed, there is potential for infection that could take place at the extraction site.  Then, of course, one worries about whether or not that could spread through the blood stream to the nose and ears. 

Generally, experienced plastic cosmetic surgeons and oral surgeons would all agree that it is best to separate these procedures by at least one month. 

If there is any question about the exact time, it would be appropriate, assuming you have the oral surgery first, you should be re-examined by the oral surgeon, and then your cosmetic surgeon, so that both agree it is appropriate to have the cosmetic procedures done.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD

+1

IMHO, 1 week isn't a problem from an anesthsia stanpoint but from a practical sense you should wait a month or longer.  Because of the areas, of dissection from the wisdom teeth and the increased bacterial load from that surgery...it does incease the possibility of post op infection.  If I were your Rhinoplasty Surgeon, I would require a 3 month space between your wisdom teeth surgery and your Rhinoplasty and Otoplasty for safety issues.

Wisdom Tooth Removal after Rhinoplasty & Otoplasty

+1

One week may be too soon to have the proposed procedures, which involve multiple areas of the face, in terms of healing and recovery. Many patients have anesthesia multiple times safely without problems. It may be more appropriate to perform the dental surgery first, then followed by the rhinoplasty afterward. Only your rhinoplasty surgeon may best answer your question. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wisdom teethe and rhinoplasty

+1

This is all about how much discomfort you want to take upon yourself. If you do then have the teeth done first. Arrange some help and TLC for yourself. Good luck.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing of different surgeries

+1

I would not have the wisdom teeth done after the other because I would be concerned that the oral surgeon might press against your nose and change something. Also I think you will be uncomfortable breathing through your nose one week after the rhinoplasty. I would do the teeth first and the rest a week or two later. The anesthesia itself should really not be an issue.

Ronald Schuster, MD