Bad Results from Blepharoplasty? (photo)

I had surgery at Strax over 2 years ago. I now suffer from debilitating pain. I've gone to many different doctors since. One said I needed a canthopexy and cheek-lift, and perhaps some skin grafting to resolve my problem. As a result of the surgery, the outer corners of my eyes are pulling down. A few stated that my lids were malpositioned. The last one said I had blepharitis, Could a canthopexy and cheek-lift possibly alleviate some of the misery I'm in, even with having blepharitis?

Lower eyelid retraction after lower blepharoplasty

+3

You appear to have bilateral lower eyelid retraction.  That could be due to contracture/tightness in different layers of the lower eyelid and I cannot tell without examination.  Canthopexy or canthoplasty alone will NOT fix the problem.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lid malposition after blepharoplasty

+3

Photos are helpful, but only an examination can determine what is really going on. It is also hard to say without seeing your pre-op photos. Speaking generally, blepharitis and lid malposition can both cause discomfort after a blepharoplasty. If this is what is going on, a canthopexy may be a reasonable treatment. If too much skin was removed, then you may require a skin graft to allow your lower lid to be raised up. Again, my answers are not specific to your particular situation.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Bad Results from Blepharoplasty?

+2

Sorry for these issues and your choosing STRAX for a cosmetic operation. There history of results speak for themselves. I recommend seeing Dr Steven Fagien in Boca Raton, FL. And understand the fees to correct will be very high. Best of luck. 

Pain after Lower Eyelid Surgery

+1

Only an exam can determine what is possible to help your situation.  Debilitating pain and the blepharitis issues need to be sorted out as well.

Three Factors to Restore Your Eyelids

+1

Thank you for your question. Since eyelid surgery is among the top three or four cosmetic surgeries performed in the U.S., cases like yours happen more often than cosmetic surgeons like to admit.  Since I specialize in cosmetic surgery on the eyes and face, I've had many patients from around the US and the world come to me for corrective surgery, often after undergoing two to three revision surgeries with different doctors.

Judging by the pictures you submitted, your lower eyelids got pulled down after surgery, which is called lower eyelid retraction. When this happens your lower eyelid is positioned too low, so you suffer irritation from tear film and dryness, and your appearance also suffers.  Some doctors may try revising this with a mid-face type of lifting, canthoplasty, tuck-up or lifting procedures, but these tend to lead to more scarring and can cause the eyelids to be pulled down further.

Your situation can be resolved, but there are  three important things to consider: anchoring  the outer corner of your eye which is made up of the lateral canthal tendon, restoring vertical support through the eyelid muscles and tissues, and having enough skin for the eyelid to be restored to its proper position.  Skin is often lost in the desire to reduce wrinkles and improve skin tone, so skin grafting can be an option. Having these three factors can get  your eyelids to look good and function well, which is a principle I teach to surgeons I train.

If I were to evaluate you physically, I would move the eyelid up to feel how much scar tissue there is, and also see how limited or restricted your skin is before undergoing a personalized procedure. I advise you to find an experienced specialist to resolve your issues and hopefully help you make the right decision.  Thank you for your question, and I wish you the best of luck.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Poor result after Strax blepharoplasty

+1

I'm sorry for your situation.  Although the pictures are helpful, actually feeling the tissue and where it is tight or not in person is the best.  At the least, a canthopexy would be beneficial, but more procedures may be indicated based on what the examination shows.  In addition to Dr. Fagien who was recommended earlier, Dr. Michael Patipa in West Palm Beach is well known for his work in this area.  

Thomas Fiala, MD

Reparative Procedure for Blepharoplasty

+1
I'm very sorry you have had these problems, and you need to realize that the reparative procedures recommended are quite aggressive but likely indicated.  I strongly suggest you find a surgeon with whom you feel very comfortable.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lid malposition after lower blepharoplasty

+1

It's clear that you have lower lid malposition and mild eversion of lid margin. The best evaluation is an in person examination where the skin laxity, lower lid muscle dynamics and scar tissue can be assessed. The revision is based on identifying the source of the problem. Your original surgeon may have the best insight to the source of the problem. In general if you have adequate tissue then canthopexy may be enough. Cheek lift may add additional soft tissue support. If on exam you have a shortage of skin or internal tissue, then skin graft or spacer graft may be necessary. Try to identify the source of the problem then the solution will become more straightforward.
Best Wishes,
Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Canthopexy to correct lid malposition.

+1

Your photos appear to show lower lid malposition which could potentially be corrected by canthopexy alone.  Without an exam it is not possible to tell with any certainty whether grafting may be needed but it seems unlikely based on the photos. 

Jeffrey Thaxton, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Lower Lid Retraction

+1

It appears clear from the images provided that you have symptomatic post surgical lower lid retraction which will likely require further surgery to correct.  This may involve an extended lower lid blepharoplasty with cheek elevation and possibly tarsal strip procedures.  However, before you choose your next Surgeon, I would challenge you to analyze your motivations for choosing Strax for the first procedure. Revision lower lid procedures can be complex, so I would encourage you to make your decision based on the skill, results, and reputation of the individual Surgeon.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon