Has anyone had a bad result from radiesse (lumps under the eyes) but seen it resolve within a year? (photo)

I'm looking for some positive feedback on success stories, if there are any?! Will this shrink month by month? Will laser treatments help break this down ? If so what kind of laser? At what point should I consider having it surgically removed. It's been 2 months and no sign of shrinking yet.

Radiesse in tear trough

+2

I am unable to visualize your full face, therefore not sure exactly where the Radiesse is located, although I can definitely see the bulk of the product in the second picture. Radiesse should be injected deep, on the bone. It looks as if yours may have been placed a bit superficially. I have seen Radiesse be absorbed by the body in three months (which is highly unusual) and last up to two years. On average, the product remains for 12 to 18 months, but that is not necessarily full correction. Radiesse slowly breaks down. Massaging may help, Exilis may help. Surgical removal will leave a scar, whereas waiting it out, you will have no scar.

Another option could be to use Juvederm, Restylane or Perlane to feather out from the bolus of Radiesse to make it less noticeable. I recommend an experienced injector to help you if you chose to go this route. I am unable to visualize your face to see if you are a good candidate for additional filler. The products mentioned above actually have an "antedote" and if for some reason you did not like the outcome, it can be reversed.

Thank you.

Lumps after Radiesse

+1

The lumps are caused by superficial injection and also by lack of understanding of the anatomy of the area.

If the the lump is only caused by a superficial injection, there is a possibility for spontaneous resolution but that will take more than a year.

If Radiesse is injected in the muscle there is a potential for developing of mass called granuloma, which will require different treatment.

You should see someone with expertise in the field for correct diagnosis prior to any consideration for treatment.

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse under eyes

+1

As you can see from all the other answers and research you've clearly done, Radiesse is not a recommended product for under the eyes. With that being said, I would absolutely not recommend getting surgery to have it removed. Over time, it will go away on its own. You don't want to have a surgery where you can expect some kind of scarring, permanently, when you have something in there that will go away, eventually. 2 months is the point in time when some of the gel carrier in the filler will start to go away. This can mean you can start to see some improvement, though it will be minimal. Give it time. Lasers like YAG may help, cortisone shots could also help, but really, time is going to be the best thing.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Radiesse Under Eyes

+1

Hi Robin. As you can see from the feedback, Radiesse is not a great product for under the eyes. With that said, it usually does resolve by itself over time, but 2 months is not nearly enough. We have hyaluronic acid based products like Restylane and Juvederm last a year under the eye, so generally speaking Radiesse will take longer.

Surgery is a pretty drastic route, so we would not suggest that option at this point. Rather you should wait for the product to go away on it's own. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Radiesse under the Eyes

+1

Injecting Radiesse under the eyes is not something I would do in my practice. Radiesse has a relatively high g-prime, or stiffness that makes it inappropriate for use in this area. The body will eventually break down the product, but it is likley to be a minimum of 12 months.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps under eyes after Radiesse

+1

Personally, I do not use Radiesse under the eyes because it is possible to develop visible irregularities. Radiesse is fairly firm and I find a softer product, like one of the hyaluronic acid fillers works better in that area. The Radiesse will start to dissolve over time but it could take several months before you see some improvement. I do not find that any laser treatments help to make the Radiesse go away faster. I would not recommend surgical removal because the Radiesse will go away eventually. Sometimes it is possible to inject a hyaluronic acid filler around the Radiesse to help camouflage the bumps.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon