Did I Get a Bad Nose Job... or Is It Too Soon to Say?

Ten days post-op, my nose appears to be the same width as it was before. My surgeon said he shaved the bones down instead of breaking them - is this an effective technique, or should I be worried? Furthermore, the tip appears to be a bit uneven and lopsided, and the profile is visibly scooped out, even though my surgeon promised not to give me a "ski-jump" nose. It doesn't look terrible, but it doesn't look particularly natural, nor does it look any better than before. What do I do now?

Bad results 10 days postop

+1
As my colleagues have said, close inspection of your results at 10 days will only make you insecure. Give yourself a least 6-8 weeks to start to appreciate your result, and 1 year for final results. 

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Evaluating Rhinoplasty Results

+1

You're right, at 10 days it's too soon - but you knew the answer before you asked the question!  Wait another year to decide if you need any revision surgery.

Waiting for Rhinoplasty Results

+1

I agree with the general consensus of waiting to allow complete healing of your surgery over a 12 month period.  After that time any irregularities or concerns can be addressed.  Enjoy your journey.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Ski-Jump Nose in Snowy Minnesota

+1

Hi Perplexed,

Nothing to do now other than be patient for your nose to heal and settle.  If you are unhappy with your nose at 12 months after surgery then you may consider revision surgery.  For small irregularities, and the possibility that "too much was taken down from the bridge", in properly selected cases a very small amount of temporary filler can be injected to correct the defect.  Discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgery.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Bad nose job at day 10?

+1

The "final" results of a rhinoplasty are not fully revealed until at least a year after surgery, and many patients take longer than that. If you are ten days after your rhinoplasty, the skin of the nose is too swollen for you to be able to see what was done to the bone and cartilage.

It will take time to see what changes were made in the contour. For the dorsum of the nose, it takes three to six months. For the tip, at least a year. This is part of what makes rhinoplasty a challenging operation. Your surgeon had a preview of the results in the operating room, and they are the best informed to advise you about how to ensure the best possible results.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Bad Nose Job or too Soon to Say

+1

Hi,

Its definitely too soon to say 10 days post op. Its also difficult to say without seeing your before pictures and knowing exactly what changes you were looking to make. You may want to wait for  3 to 6 months before making any determinations.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Nose job swelling

+1

It is most definitely too early to critically evaluate your nose. While there isn't quantitatively a lot of edema (swelling) in the nose after your surgery, the human eye is exquisitely discriminating of even a millimeter's asymmetry in this area. You might not notice if someone is missing a finger or two, but the average human will detect this millimeter's worth of swelling in the nose. As hard as it may seem, you need to have Zen-like patience with your nose for several months!

Verne Weisberg, MD

Bad nose job or not????

+1

It is much too soon to say since the nose is swollen and will go down and change over the next 6-12 months. Don't worry and be patient.