Is It a Bad Idea to Have a Second Scar Revision on the Side of my Nose?

I am a 34 y/o female who unfortunately missed the era of lasers when I had a hemangioma removed from the right side of my nose. It left a noticeable scar that pulls considerably when I smile. I was so self conscious as a child and teen, that I begged my parents to allow me to revise the scar. They chose the doctor. Unfortunately the results made the scar even more noticeable and the pulling more pronounced. Is it possible a good surgeon can fix the bad work of a small town doctor?

Scar revision

+1

Scar revision in the best of hands may not achieve the desired result that you want.  Attempts to camouflage the scar in the natural skin creases are the best that we can achieve, but some areas make it more difficult than others.

Scar revision

+1

The picture you included does not show the scar you wish to revise very clearly making it difficult to make any suggestions.  It can be difficult to achieve a great result on a scar revision for even the most talented surgeon and keep in mind that this was a second surgery so this "small town" surgeon may have attained the best result he could at that time.  For education purposes, in order to revise a scar the original scar has to be cut out and then the surrounding skin or tissue has to be sutured and depending on the size and location of the scar determines the type of result you can expect.

My advice is to seek a board certified facial plastic surgeon who will be able to tell you if you can get a better result or if it is best to leave it alone because the result would be worse than what you have now.  Try to find a surgeon who does scar revisions on a regular basis and ask to see before and after pictures.  Try searching for a surgeon in your area on the website of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (aafprs.org) who can possibly help you with this problem. 

Arnold Zweig, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Second scar revision on the side of my nose

+1

Thanks for the photo but since you ask a very specific question I would rather see a patient in person than try to guess if I could improve upon the scar over the internet. If you are SO concerned seek in person opinions from boarded Plastic Surgeons in your are. Best of Luck from MIAMI DR. B