16 Year Old Bad, Uneven Facelift, What Less Invasive Treatments Could I Do to Correct?

Sixteen years ago, I had a facelift. The skin on one side of my face was lifted TOO tightly and tautly - it is horribly obvious. The skin on both sides of my face at my ears is now very deeply wrinkled. I am very slim, and the skin on my face is falling down in the way of those lovely curtains - top to bottom. What can I do that is NOT invasive and scary to correct these problems?

Facelifts do not last a lifetime

+1

Facelifts do not last a life time. We continue to age and our skin continues to sag and wrinkle. If you needed a facelift 16 years ago, then your skin quality was not good back then, it certainly isn't any better today!

Sit down with your surgeon and evaluate your situation. We have so many options available to us that we did not have 16 years ago, that you will be amazed. Different types of surgery, fat grafts, ultrasound heating, fillers, botox, lasers, skin care products, etc.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

More information required to give proper advice.

+1

There are a number of minimally invasive techniques that may help your situation. There resurfacing techniques, fillers, and other injectables. They are chosen based on specific problems which are not enumerated in this particular question.

Fixing an Uneven Facelift

+1

When addressing a revision facelift, the issue is identifying the areas which need correction.

1. uneven facelifts- relifting the deep tissues of the face can help, especially if the face was not lifted in an appropriate and even vector.
  2. wrinkles after a facelift- many times wrinkles can be a result of the skin.  skin can be lasered to help improve texture, lines, and discolorations
  3. insubstantial facelift- one of the more common issues.  a robust facelift can place tissues back in appropriate position and help balance out the face, neck and jawline.
  4. volumetric issues- thinning along the sides of the face and upper face is common after a facelift.  the use of fat grafting and fillers can help improve this issue.
  5. overly tight appearance- when too much skin has been removed from the face, patients may have to wait for the face to relax or change the facial vector of pull to help improve facial appearance.
  6. poor vector- too vertical of a facelift can create an obvious windswept appearance.  patients may need to change facial vector to help improve this.

The key for you is to see which issues you are willing to tackles and which pertain to your result to help improve your facial form. 

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Less invasive treatments?

+1

Deaer EL,

Thank you for your post.  It is hard to give you good specific advise without photos.  In general, however, I would say that if you needed a facelift 16 years ago, you probably need one now.  In addition to this, it sounds like you need some volume like fat grafting as well.

Pablo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

I would have a few consultation

+1

Thank you for the question.  I would arrange a few in person consultations to evaluate what options would be best for you.  You may be able to improve some of the asymmetry with fat grafting or other type of fillers.  Ulthera is also an option.  Of course a revision face lift will likely be your most powerful option in most cases.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

16 years after bad facelift, what to do now?

+1

Certainly, it is near impossible to answer this question without seeing photos of you.  However, we now have so m any different fillers at our disposal, with different characteristics.  It sounds like this may be the right choice for you.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

From your description it would be unlikely that fillers or something noninvasive would improve the facial asymmetry that was created from the previous facelift.  The good news is that the laxity that has evolved in the interim period will allow a redraping a skin and repartitioning of tissues that will improve the symmetry and create a more youthful look.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts, facelift revisions, and facial procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

There are a lot of great nonsurgical options.

+1

You need a thoughtful cosmetic surgeon who listens to your concerns and treats you with respect.  You are not simply the face in exam room 2.  When you find the right office, I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.  It is hard for a leopard to changes its spots.  If you are not interested with surgery, you might consider consulting cosmetic dermatologists who are less likely to pressure you into surgery and more likely to recommend non-surgical methods.

Less invasive treatments after old facelift

+1

Without seeing your picture it is hard to make any recommendations. The side that looks too taut can often be improved with laser skin resurfacing and fat grafting. The wrinkles by the ears also respond well to laser skin resurfacing. Fillers and Botox are good options that are minimally invasive.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Photos, of your face, would help in the evaluation.  If there are isolated areas, of the lower face, that are sagging a minimal incision type lift could address these issues with limited incisions, tissue dissection and quick recovery.  This procedure can be performed using a local infiltration without anesthesia.