I have bad dry eyes after mid face surgery thru eye lids.

I had mid facelift thru eye lids three weeks ago. My lower eyes are still swollen as if I have gummy worms under my lower eye lids. Plus I have dry eyes. I have been putting the lubricant eye drops four times a day. My concern is that does my dry eye go away eventually or will get worse and would not be cured.

Dry Eyes after midfacelift

+2
This is a normal risk of a midfacelift.   With each passing week you will get better and return to normal.  Try cool mist vaporizer in you sleeping room and  try artificial tears in day and gel tears at night.  If more comfort use Refresh ointment in eyes at night.   Wet compresses at night, held in place with sleeping mask can also restore comfort.  The whole idea is to keep the eye moist until you start producing tears again.   Sometimes the cycle of dryness can be broken by keeping wet compresses on for a whole weekend.   Then it is always important to be confidant you will be fine because you will be!  My Best,  Dr C

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Mid-facelift

+2
It is quite normal to be swollen in the lower eyelids after a mid facelift. The swelling is causing a temporarily stop in the production of tear fluid, which is the reason for your dry eyes. However you need to be sure that the eyelids are well adapted to the eyeball, if not this could be an indication of what we call an ectropion, and you would need to go back to your surgeon for an extra control. There is very little risk that the surgery will cause a permanent condition of dry eyes. Kindly Dr Catherine Bergeret Galley

Catherine Bergeret-Galley, MD
France Plastic Surgeon

Midface lifts

+2

Midface lifts can create extensive swelling, so having quite a bit 3 weeks after surgery is not terribly surprising.  The same can be said for the dry eyes but you want to make sure that you are not developing what is called an ectropion, or drooping of the lower lids.  If you do have the latter, there are interventions that your surgeon can do in the office to help you with this.  I encourage you to discuss the issues with your surgeon sooner rather than later.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mid Face lift healing

+2
  1. The mid-face lift will cause severe swelling that takes weeks, even months to subside.
  2. Dry eyes can occur after any eye surgery. It subsides as swelling and eye irritation subside. This can be a few weeks to 2 months or more. 
  3. Use preservative-free natural tears every hour when awake plus preservative-free eye gel before bedtime. 
  4. If you are improving, even slowly, you are on track. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Midface lift

+2
Impossible to give accurate recommendation without photos. In general, 3 weeks is too early to judge the results. It takes at least 3 months for healing to complete. If still problems at that time, see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dry Eyes

+1
This is common effect after your type of surgery and that you have temporarily not producing fluid and its causing your eyes to dry. As the swelling goes down you will start to notice this subside and return to normal.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dry eyes after lower eyelid surgery, particularly extended to a mid facelift, is a serious problem.

+1
It is very important that your eyes be managed properly based on the complaints that you have. The corneas must be protected at all costs and You would do well to keep in touch with an ophthalmologist as well as your surgeon.