Can Invisalign be Used if You Have Bad Allergies?

Invisalign and Allergies

+2

I am assuming that you are referring to material allergies rather than seasonal allergies. If you are sensitive skin wise to be safe ask your dentist for a sample of the aligner and have your Allergist test it on you. Or you can get a specific material test which is listed below. 

Good Luck

Tray Material:

Polyurethane from methylene diphenyl diisocyanate and 1,6-hexanediol.
CAS# 137873-51-9

Ridgewood Cosmetic Dentist

Allergy

+1

I have never heard of invisalign allergy.

You can have your alergist test you to the material that we use for the aligners, which is a plastic.

Again,I never had cases with allergy to plastic.

Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

Allergy sufferers can still wear Invisalign,,no problem.

+1

Usually the patients with bad allergies are also mouth breathers and then have anterior gum problems. Invisalign does not affect the way you already breathe while you sleep. It only covers the teeth. Most people who already sleep with their mouth closed at nite will do so with Invisalign.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Allergy to Invisalign is very rare

+1

While ANYTHING is possible, the likelihood that a person is allergic to the plastic in the aligners is rare.  If they are, then orthodontics in any form is not likely possible, as the glue for brackets would be worse.

As far as OTHER allergies, Invisalign shouldn't affect them.  The aligners are very thin, so if airway was an issue due to hayfever or the like, Invisalign won't make them worse.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign and allergies

+1

Invisalign will not interfere with breathing, so if you're worried about having asthma or stuffy nose from common allergies Invisalign will not make breathing more difficult.  There have been rare cases of allergy to the material used in Invisalign so if you're worried about that you should visit your orthodontist and ask about it.  If you have known allergies to any form of plastic you might want to be tested for the type of plastic used in Invisalign before spending the money to get treated with it.  Just for comparison, allergies to metal and latex which are often used in conventional braces are probably more common than allergies to the plastic used in Invisalign.

Seattle Orthodontist

Allergies and Invisalign

+1

You should not have any problems with the Invisalign aligners. Breathing should not be a problem because they are very thin. The material is a type of acrylic and is fully cured when they arrive as a finished product. Talk to your dentist if you have specific concerns.

Cincinnati Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign and allergies

+1

People are much less likely to have allergies to the medical grade plastic used in Invisalign than the glues and metals of regular braces.  You should be fine!

Saint Louis Orthodontist

+1

Great question. I'm guessing you're asking this question for one of two reasons: 1) will Invisalign inhibit my ability to breathe? The answer is no, Invisalign is very comfortable to wear for almost everyone. Or 2) could I be allergic to the Invisalign aligners? I have only heard of very rare instances where a patient had an adverse reaction to the plastic used to fabricate Invisalign aligners. It might be worth your time to visit the Invisalign website to read up on adverse reaction to Invisalign aligners. I have never seen an alergic reaction in my office. Good luck!

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist