Age 26, and Bactrim is the Only Effective Med. Worried About the Antibiotic in the Long-run?

Hi, I'm a 26 year old female that lives in TN. I've been on Bactrim since high school where we tried all the cycline family, with topicals, etc. I never got cysts, just breakouts that were annoying, so my dermatologists put me on Bactrim and it has helped every since; however if I stop it the breakouts will return. I am concerned about being on this antibiotic long term and would love to quit taking anything for my face, but I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Long term Bactrim

+1

I agree with you.  I don't think you should stay on long term antibiotics and would recommend stopping for a period of time.  If the condition returns, you can start this or perhaps a different antibiotic or could consider IPL treatment to prevent future breakouts.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.