Can I Go Back to Work 4 Days After an Asian Upper Eyelid Surgery?

i want to get an upper eyelid surgery, however, i can take 2 days off work only. Is it possiable that i have a surgery on Wednesday noon, and get back to work the next Monday ??? it means i have 4 days off, including weekend. FYI: I'm working in the office and sitting in the front of computer almost entire day. Thanks

Return to work in 2 days possible with a non-incisional surgery

+1

Most of my patients look fine in 1-2 days after non-incisional double eyelid surgery.  However, your surgeon needs to select the best type of surgery, non-incisional or incisional, for your situation.  If you are just working in front of a computer and you do not care too much about what your coworkers think, then either approach would probably be fine for you to return to work.  After eyelid surgery, the eyes can fatigue easier than usual.  This may limit the amount of work you can do.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Asian Eyelid Surgery

+1

How the surgery is performed and what type of anesthesia is used will determine when you can be back at work.  If local anesthesia is used, your body will probably be fine to go back to work in 4 days, however you will likely still have some eyelid swelling and possibly some bruising depending on how it was performed.  Please consult with your board certified specialist to determine the expected postoperative care.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Returning to work after Asian eyelid surgery

+1

Morning Dai,

Typically you can return to work within 3 to 4 days.  HOWEVER, it is important to understand that whether you're having suture technique, partial incision, or full incision you will most likely still have some signs that you have had surgery such as swelling, occasionally bruising, or even visible sutures.  Some patients do experience some fatigue of their eyes after surgery that first week when reading or working at computer or even some dry eyes.  Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery After Asian Eyelid Surgery

+1

Dear dai1003,

Asian eyelid surgery (ie. Asian blepharoplasty, or Asian double eyelid procedure) creates a crease in the upper eyelid that enhances the overall shape and appearance of the eyes.

There are several techniques for performing Asian eyelid surgery, including non-incision, partial incision, and full incision methods. The non-incision and partial incision methods are associated with a quicker recovery, but I believe that they lead to shorter lasting and less natural appearing folds. For these reasons, I recommend a full incision technique to most patients.

After Asian eyelid surgery, there is bruising and swelling. Most of the bruising and swelling disappears over the course of a few weeks, although some patients may recover more quickly and others more slowly. The upper eyelid crease begins very high and takes a few months to settle down and look natural. Most patients return to work in 1-2 weeks. Returning to work earlier (eg. four days) is certainly possible if you are able to tolerate having heavy, swollen eyelids and possibly sutures in place. Wearing eyeglasses can help disguise your eyes until your recovery is complete.

Asian eyelid surgery is a very delicate procedure and requires special knowledge and expertise. Please see an experienced Board Certified surgeon for an evaluation.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD