Will I Go Back to the Smallest Size I Was During Recovery with Lipo?

It's been four weeks now since I had lipo of the bra line, abdomen, flanks, and inner thighs. Right after I got out of my surgery and for a week or so after that, my stomach was tiny. But, then I ballooned up, and, while I'm not big or anything, I am bigger than I'd like to be. So do patients tend to go back to the size they were right after surgery, before all the swelling took place?

+1

You should be fairly settled down now; however, depending on the amount of liposuction performed, and the location, of course, I generally keep my patients in a compression garment for 4 to 6 weeks, which minimizes swelling and formation of fluid. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after liposuction

+1

Your complaints suggest that you have post-op swelling which in most cases is normal. Give it time to heal.

Temporary Lymphedema After Liposuction

+1

What you are experiencing is known as lymphedema due to partial obstruction of lymphatic outflow in the treated areas. This is a temporary phenomenon that occurs in all liposuction patients for the first few months after surgery. It is a self-solving problem as the lymphatic channels heal and reopen. This will restore the shape back to what you saw right after surgery. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD