Can I Go Back to the Gym/ Exercise 2 Month Post-op Septorhinoplasty?

Hi, I had my septorhinoplasty on may 30th 2013 and am just wondering now is it safe to go back to the gym and exercise with heavy weights? Will it delay any healing time? It has been a little over 8 weeks and I have noticed a significant reduction in swelling because I have limited actvities and taking it easy. Will my nose swell back up again after going to the gym 3 or 4 days a week? The thing I am worried about is prolonged swelling or excessive scar tissue.

Yes you can exercise after 8 weeks

+1

You can get back to exercise at this point.  It should not delay your healing, but make sure your plastic surgeon agrees.  Most of your swelling should be resolved at this point.  It usually takes up to a full year for complete resolution.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Limits on Exercise Following Rhinoplasty

+1

I tell my patients they can resume exercise 2-3 weeks after rhinoplasty as long as there is no risk of facial trauma.  Having said that, follow your surgeon's instructions.

When can I resume exercise after septorhinoplasty?

+1

In general, I advise my patients to refrain from any intense physical activity for at least 4-5 weeks following surgery. Not doing so can increase swelling and delay healing time. After 8 weeks, you should be ok to resume exercise. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon, as they may have specific guidelines they would like you to follow. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Safe to go back to gym 8 weeks after septorhinoplasty

+1

I usually limit my patients from strenuous activity for 4-6 weeks after surgery. Your surgeon may have a different comfort level, but a majority of the swelling is gone and you should not affect healing by returning to the gym now.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Exercising 8 weeks after Nose Job is practical

+1

Although the recovery time and level of discomfort varies greatly from patient to patient, the following is a general rule of thumb for all of my rhinoplasty or septorhinoplasty patients: Plan on 1-2 weeks before returning to work and a minimum of 1 month before returning to the gym.

Keep in mind- It will take roughly 6-8 weeks for most of the swelling to go down post surgery and up to 1 full year for ALL swelling to subside.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks after surgery exercise is ok

+1

After 3 weeks the nasal bones are healed enough to handle exercise. By 8 weeks you are in a safe position to do all the exercise you want to do. 

Regards
Dr. J
Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dear asig,

Thank you for your question.  You should be safe to exercise at 2 months.  Expect a little swelling that comes and goes with time.  This will not cause permanent damage.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Returning to exercise eight weeks after rhinoplasty is fine.

+1

Postop activity orders of your surgeon should be followed. In my practice eight weeks will be more than enough time to resume full athletic activity.

Working out at 8 weeks after rhinoplasty is reasonable

+1

Thank you for the question.  Each plastic surgeon has his/her own protocol for starting to workout.  Although this varies most plastic surgeons would allow working out at 8 weeks.  Some waxing and waning swelling may be expected but this will not be detrimental or permanent.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD