How Far Back Will It Set my Treatment to Have the Aligners in for Less Hours for a Week?

I am going on an all inclusive vacation. There will be more eating/drinking than the average day. How far back will it set my treatment to have the aligners in for less hours for a week?

Invisalign not being worn ideal amount of time

+1

Not wearing your trays the ideal amount of time (22 hours per day) will definitely set your treatment back slightly.  I would wear the tray for another week if not longer depending on how your new tray fits.  SInce you will be eating and drinking a lot you can take them out but most importantly would be to wear them overnight.  Enjoy your trip.

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign on vacation

+1

yes! I agree that you should try to wear your invisalign trays at least every night or every other night while on vacation.

A little effort there could save you alot of time and money when you get back!

Mojdah Akhavan, DDS
San Diego Orthodontist

Wearing your Invisalign while on vacation

+1

Just add another week of full time wear to your current aligners when you come back. Continue to wear the aligners nightly and some hours in the day while on vacation.

Travel tip: also bring your previous set of aligners and keep them somewhere safe. If you lose your current aligners you will have your old ones to fall back to. Not wearing Invisalign at all for a week can set you back to the point of having to go back in the aligner series to an aligner that still fits. Invisalign fit is checked by looking for daylight: space between the edges of your teeth and the plastic of the aligner. Have a great trip!

Rob van den Berg, DDS, MS
San Ramon Orthodontist

Invisalign aligners not being worn 22/7 & its effect on treatment.

+1

Obviously, you should try to wear the aligners as many hours as possible while you are on vacation, espcially all night long while you are sleeping. If you do wear them at least a few hours every day, you will probably only have to extend wearing the same set of aligners for an extra week or 2, assuming the vacation is only a week. Do not go to your next set of aligners as originally scheduled (usually every 2 weeks).

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist