Back Pain! Will A Tummy Tuck Help?

I am considering a mommy makeover and wondering if a tummy tuck will really help my lower back pain. I have had 4 pregnancies in 5 yrs all via c-section which have taken a toll on my back. Is this a common complaint you hear as a doctor and what is the success rate your patients tell you with regards to their back pain both before and after the surgery? I am a healthy weight and height with no major health problems or concerns. Thank you.

Tummy Tuck and Back Pain

+1
It is feasible that a tummy tuck could alleviate some of your back pain. Consult in person with 3 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Improved back pain with an abdominoplasty

+1

The   abdominal wall forms a cinch around the lower abdomen giving some support to the lower back.  Clinically I see many patients who report that their back pain is improved following an abdominoplasty.   

Tummy tuck can help back pain by tightening the abdominal muscles that were separated from pregnancy

+1

Yes, this complaint is common after multiple pregnancies or weight changes and yes, tummy tuck can help by tightening the abdominal muscles that were separated from pregnancy.  However, no plastic surgeon can give you a guarantee that it will absolutely fix your back pain.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty and back pain

+1

Although some patients report improvement in their back pain after abdominoplasty, that is not the reason the procedure is done.  There are many causes for back pain and some might be serious.  I would recommend getting an evaluation of your back pain by your family physician before proceeding with cosmetic surgery.

Mitchell F. Grasseschi, MD

Back pain is not treated by tummy tuck

+1

The tummy tuck procedure with abdominal muscle sutures will strengthen the abdominal wall and body core but this does not usually eliminate back discomfort.. This should be discuss with the consultant plastic surgeon who may perform the abdominoplasty..

Ronald Iverson, MD
Pleasanton Plastic Surgeon

Can a tummy tuck help reduce back pain?

+1

Back pain can be a symptom due to many different factors.  Abdominal weakness can be one of them.  After pregnancy, and especially C-section, the abdominal contents may protrude due to "weakened" abdominal muscles.  This can cause a strain on your back as your posture changes.  During a tummy tuck, the abdominal muscles are brought together allowing you to use your abdominal strength to stand straighter- which relieves your back from arching or rounding.  Worth a try if you're a tummy tuck candidate. 

Eric A. Marchant, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Will TT help back pain?

+1

Without an exam and pics I cannot give you a definitive answer. A TT will improve your core strength and re-allign your body. There has been published evidence that plication of a rectus diastasis , the separation of muscles that occurs after pregnancy, does contribute to the relief of back pain, but there is no guarantee. Good luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Back pain

+1

Having a Tummy tuck after 4 pregnancies can and will definitely give your body that contour you’re looking for. In regards to the back pain I would speak to your PS to make sure that the back pain is addressed.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Back Pain improvement with Tummy Tuck

+1

While there are no guarantees in regard to help with pain, many tummy tuck patients see a considerable improvement in their back pain after tummy tuck.  Most likely, the mechanism is from tightening their muscles and achieving a natural realignment.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Tummy Tuck and Back Pain?

+1

Based on your description of pregnancies and the fact that you are at a long-term stable weight, you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery.  Part of this operation involves plication ( reconstruction) of the abdominal wall muscles that have spread with pregnancy. This reconstruction likely strengthens the core and MAY  help with issues such as lower back discomfort (assuming there are no other  anatomic causes of the lower back pain).  I would caution you however not to assume that your lower back pain will be resolved after tummy tuck surgery.