Can I Get my Back Fat Lipo'ed at the Same Time As Tummy Tuck?

I hate my back fat. I tried taking a photo but as soon as I raise my arm to take picture , the roll of fat leaves .

+1
Yes, a trademarked procedure, Lipotuck™ sounds like the best type of surgery for you. Itdiffers from the traditional abdominoplasty by addition of significant liposuction to the areas of abdomen, hips, back, flank, axilla, and pubis. Lipotuck™is a one stage procedure that creates extremely pleasing abdominal contour and waist line.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Back liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

Yes, flank and/or back liposuction can be performed at the same time. However, it is important for your plastic surgeon to limit the amount of undermining of your tummy tuck to ensure adequate blood supply to the skin on your abdomen.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Liposuction - Back Fat at same time as TT?

+1

Clearly, they can be performed simultaneously, as the many responses attached to this question attest to.  The only caveat is that, depending on the extent of each (ie, how large a tummy tuck and how much fat is being removed) it is at least a theoretical concern that the blood flow to the tummy (and that is required for good healing) may be impacted adversely by liposuction.  Basically, when you have a TT, all of the blood supply to the flap (the tissue that is lifted up and tightened) has to come from the area beneath the ribs, and from the back.  If there is a decrease in blood flow (which can occur in smokers, patients with diabetes or other small blood vessel disease or, in theory, a procedure that compromises the supply from the back) it may increase the risk of wound healing problems.  This should be discussed with your PS.  There are obviously risks regardless of concomitant procedures, and it's not clear to what extent they would be increased, but it is at least something to think about.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Liposuction Of Back with Tummy Tuck?

+1

Assuming you are a good candidate for liposuction surgery on the back,  then doing it at the same time as tummy tuck surgery should not be a problem.

Make sure you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and a fully accredited surgery center.

Liposuction of back fat with Tummy Tuck

+1

Cosmetic procedures are sometimes combined depending on the extent of the procedures being performed. Take mommy makeover surgery, a fairly common cosmetic procedure, as an example. Combining procedures like tummy tuck, liposuction, and cosmetic breast surgery helps women regain their pre-baby bodies and can be customized to their specific needs. Therefore, it should be possible for you to have liposuction of your back at the same time as your tummy tuck procedure, unless you have health conditions that could complicate the procedure. Be sure to discuss these concerns during a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon before pursuing surgery.

David Whiteman, MD

Back fat lipo and abdominoplasty

+1

If you are in vigorously good health, I would likely do this at the same time as your abdominoplasty.  Doing them at the same time would consolidate your recovery.  If you have a lot of loose skin on your back, lipo may not be so effective.  Your surgeon should be able to give you an idea of how much improvement you can expect. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Liposuction of the back at same time as tummy tuck

+1

It is safe and at times quite advantageous to perform liposuction of the back while doing a tummy tuck. That can aid in narrowing the circumference of the waist, yielding a more refined hourglass shape in many patients. There might be a little more swelling with the combined procedure but it is safe and actually common to combine those procedures.

Julio Garcia, MD

Can I Get my Back Fat Lipo'ed at the Same Time As Tummy Tuck?Answer:

+1

Liposuction can be done very safely at the same time as Tummy Tuck. There will be a change in position in your case if you are doing the back. In my practice I am a bit more nervous about Blood Clots when I combine Lipo and a TT, so I do give medication to thin the blood for a few days…And now we are also combining Lipo of the tummy as well at the same time as a TT, which was taboo years ago!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the back can be performed concurrent with a tummy tuck

+1

Liposuction of the back can be performed at the same time one is undergoing a tummy tuck - if it is indicated. This allows you the opportunity to have global contouring and a more harmonious result. This approach can also save you from a separate procedure at a later date which also reduces overall down time, time off of work and costs.

You should seek a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon to make sure that this would be a beneficial and prudent approach in your situation.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

+1

Liposuction of the back can be done during the same procedure as abdominoplasty, in a healthy patient.

This would require a position change in the operating room. In general I begin the operation with the patient lying face-down to do the back, then turn them over to complete the tummy tuck.

The surgeon must always be aware of the potential complication of deep vein thrombosis (DVT or blood clots in the lower body) and pulmonary embolus. The latter is a potentially fatal complication in which the clot travels to the lung.

Abdominoplasty for various reasons has a somewhat higher risk of DVT and embolus than do many other procedures. The risk may be higher when other procedures such as back liposuction are added. I routinely use sequential calf compressors in the OR and recovery room, as well as small doses of blood thinner to reduce the risk of clots.

There is a risk of bleeding with the blood thinners, but I have not seen this complication in the 24 years I have been in practice.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon