Can I Have a Baby Post Diastasis Recti Repair/tummy Tuck?

I had a diastasis recti repair and tummy tuck approx 9 years ago. My husband and I are discussing having another baby. Is this possible for me? If so, would I have to undergo surgery to undo the diastasis repair prior to conceiving? Thank you. Lawren

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. You certainly can have a baby after tummy tuck. In a tummy tuck, we are putting your body back together similiar to what you were like before you were pregnant. Your muscle tension, your skin and your fat contours are adjusted. Once you are fully healed from your surgery, your body is just as able to accept a pregnancy as it was before your first pregnancy. However, if your belly area stretched after your first pregnancy, then you are likely to stretch again after your next pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend to have a tummy tuck after you are finished having childern, however, in certain instances, such as starting to date again, or just not being happy with your post pregnancy body, then it makes sense to go ahead and have a tummy tuck. Just realize that you may need a revision later on.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Yes it is possible to have a normal pregnancy after tummy tuck surgery. It will be unnecessary to “undo the diastasis  repair prior to conceiving”.

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

It is not ideal to become pregnant after having a tummy tuck, but almost every plastic surgeon can point to one or two patients who have become pregnant.

There is no need to "undo" the diastasis repair surgically.  Your enlarging abdomen will stretch it out without a problem.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

A previous abdominoplasty with diastasis repair should not interfere with having a normal pregnancy. As with all pregnancies, the abdominal wall will stretch out and then may or may not shrink back to where it is now. So you may or may not need or want another revisionary surgery afterwards.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Potential pregnancy years after a tummy tuck

+1

Having a previous tummy tuck along with a muscle repair will absolutely not prevent you from becoming pregnant nor should it have any effect on your pregnancy. Your pregancy will obviously stretch your skin, muscle and fascia layers which may or may not revert back to somewhat like what your appearance now but this would depend on multiple factors. If you do develop recurrent laxity or protrusion of your abdomen, a secondary tightening can still be performed if you desire.

Good luck!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Pregnancy after abdominoplasty

+1
Everything in your body will still function normally after an abdominplasty including your reproductive system. It may or may not require revisional surgery.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Normal pregnancy is possible after tummy tuck

+1

Most will have a tummy tuck after they have 'completed' their family, though feelings can change and there should be no problem with a normal pregnancy despite the tummy tuck you had in the past. Your abdomen will relax to allow room, and even a C-section will go as a normal procedure if needed. As far as your result, you may not fare as bad as your think if you are fit through pregnancy and carefully control weight gain.

peterejohnsonmd

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

It is generally agreed that a previous tummy tuck does not prevent a normal pregnancy.  A diastasis repair performed 9 years ago should be very well healed (not reversible), however your abdominal wall will stretch to accommodate the uterus and baby,   After the pregnancy, you may find yourself with residual abdominal wall laxity and excess skin once again.

Good luck.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board-certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Craig S. Rock, MD

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

Most surgeons believe a healthy pregnancy after a tummy tuck is quite possible.

It is, however, also possible that the muscles might separate and the fascia might stretch again.

Women who limit their weight gains and have healthy pregnancies tend to do much better than women who gain a great deal of weight during their pregnancies.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck

+1

You certainly can have a normal pregnancy after your tummy tuck and diastasis repair.  Your abdomen will once again stretch to accomodate the pregnancy.  You may well, however, as you alluded to, create the excess skin and diastasis recti for which you originally had the tummy tuck once again.

John Whitt, MD