Can I Have Babies After a Tummy Tuck Surgery?

Babies after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+2

Generally speaking, patients are able to have normal pregnancies after tummy tuck surgery.   
Depending on the weight gain/loss,  changes in skin elasticity,  genetics etc.  revisionary surgery may be necessary after the pregnancy. This is a situation where only time will tell.

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. You certainly can have a baby after tummy tuck. In a tummy tuck, we are putting your body back together similiar to what you were like before you were pregnant. Your muscle tension, your skin and your fat contours are adjusted. Once you are fully healed from your surgery, your body is just as able to accept a pregnancy as it was before your first pregnancy. However, if your belly area stretched after your first pregnancy, then you are likely to stretch again after your next pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend to have a tummy tuck after you are finished having childern, however, in certain instances, such as starting to date again, or just not being happy with your post pregnancy body, then it makes sense to go ahead and have a tummy tuck. Just realize that you may need a revision later on.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Can I have babies after a tummy tuck?

+1
Yes, you can have a baby after a tummy tuck.  Quite a number of my patients have had problem-free pregnancies and  have been blessed with healthy, happy babies after a tummy tuck.  

I do not, however, perform tummy tuck surgery on women who are planning to have more children  in the near future.  The results of a tummy tuck will often change after pregnancy, so I advise women to wait until after having children to have this surgery. 

If after a baby a women wants a secondary tummy tuck it is typically safe to do so. Often, a second tummy tuck is a smaller, shorter procedure than an original tummy tuck.  In other cases, women find they do not require a tummy tuck at all, however, there can be changes that may require surgery of some kind to reproduce the original post surgery result.  

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Babies After Tummy Tuck

+1

In general, I would recommend a tummy tuck for patients after they have finished with pregnancies.  However, if there will be a gap in the pregnancies, then a tummy tuck is not unreasonable.  A tummy tuck may have to be revised given the dynamics of future pregnancy.  The ability to get pregnant and maintain pregnancy should not be affected by a properly performed tummy tuck.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy Tuck

+1

You can have children after a tummy tuck.  I would highly recommend waiting until you have had your children and do not plan on having any more.  Your best result is when you are at your goal weight and are finished having your children. 

Timothy Leung, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Can I Get Pregnant After a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Yes you can. But if that is your plan you may rather wait until you have completed your family before having the tummy tuck. 

A pregnancy will stretch your abdominal tissues, and if they don't shrink back down sufficiently, you may be facing another surgery for revision or a whole new TT

Muscle Separation with Tummy Tuck

+1

With pregnacy, your abdominal wall stretches to accomodate the growing baby-- That includes the muscles, the skin and even the belly button.  The goal of a tummy tuck is to tighten the abdominal and repair the changes that occurred during the pregnancy.  Becuase of this-- and for your investment in time, recovery and of course money- it is advisable to wait until you have completed having babies before undergoing a tummy tuck procedure.

Rocco C. Piazza, MD

Babies after Tummy Tuck

+1

Of course you can have babies after a Tummy Tuck.  It is best to have your family prior to this surgery.  Otherwise, you will need to have the surgery again.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Babies after tummy tuck

+1

You can certainly get pregnant after a tummy tuck. However, the muscles and skin that were tightened will be stretched out again. For that reason, you are best off waiting until you are sure you are not going to have any more children. Best of luck.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

There is nothing about the tummy tuck procedure that prevents pregnancy. However, pregnancy will probably stretch out the skin and muscles that were tightened with the tummy tuck and may leave you right where you were before the tummy tuck. So it is advisable to finish having your family before the tummy tuck. I hope this provides you with the information you need.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon