Can I Add Volume to 400cc Mentor Smooth Round High Profile Cohesive Gel Implants?

Hello, I had BA yesterday, Mentor smooth round high profile cohesive gel 400 cc's. Is it possible to add more cc's to this type of implant. If so how much surgery is involved and what is the cost? Thanks Tina

Breast augment size

+1

No, the only way to add cc's is with placement of a new silicone implant. This can be accomplished in office under local anesthesia.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants size change

+1

No,  you will not be able to  add volume to the existing silicone gel implant.  Revisionary breast surgery may be necessary to achieve your goals. If revisionary surgery is decided upon, it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Making Gel Implants Larger

+1

Dear Tina, I would certainly suggest you wait at least three months to see how your implants look and how you feel about them before making any decision regarding size. Gel implants are not adjustable and the only way to increase your size is replacement with larger implants. As to fees to change your implants, this is a subject to discuss with your surgeon and I am sure he would like you to be happy.

Richard Linderman, MD

Adding volume to a gel implant

+1

Tina - the gel implants are pre-filled at the implant factory, and cannot be adjusted by the surgeon.  Only saline implants are be adjusted.

I'd wait a while (2-3 months), and see how things look once your tissues relax a bit.   You'd be amazed at how the shape changes during the healing phase.  Hang in there! 

Thomas Fiala, MD

Breast Augmentation

+1

If your BA was yesterday you may want to allow your new breast to take shape.  If your surgery went will allow yourself the time to heal completely.  As your tissues relax your breast implant will settle and you may appreciate more projection.  Gel implants are premade and the only way to increase your size is to insert a larger implant.  I hope this info helps.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Breast Size

+1

You are not yet recovered. Give yourself 4-6 months before even considering a discussion about increasing breast implant size. Unlike saline implants, silicone implants can not be increased in volume. Discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon during your next visit. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Cohesive Gel Implant Volume Cannot Be Altereed

+1

There is no way to change the volume of a cohesive gel implant.  In fact this is the case with most silicone implants making it important to be comfortable with the volume chosen at the time of the sizing visit.  There were implants available in the 80's (Becker) which were silicone /saline and could have some volume adjustment on the saline side.  I don't think that tat they are still on the market.

John Whitt, MD

Volume CANNOT be added to Silicone Gel breast Implants

+1

Unlike saline breast implants which are filled by the surgeon once they are placed under your breasts, silicone gel breast implants come with a set filled volume. No additional volume can be added to gel implants. The only way to change their volume is to surgically replace them with a larger implant.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

You cannot add volume to Silicone breast implants, but...

+1

Hi fenamarie  in Windsor Ontario,

I am assuming you are asking this question because you feel the implants are too small. Unfortunately this is not possible with silicone implants, and even with saline implants, the amount of extra volume that can be added is limited to approximately 50cc's (which is less than 2 ounces). Two points important points can be taken away from your question:

1. It is very important that prior to surgery, the size of implant is thoroughly discussed and agreed upon by surgeon and patient. Although there is no 100% foolproof way to select the 'perfect' size, a detailed and thorough selection process significantly reduces the possibility that the patient will end up with a size they are not happy with. It is much better to prevent this from happening, than fixing it after it happens.
  2. The final breast size cannot be judged right after surgery. Many factors determine the final appearance of the breasts. Many of these factors are in flux immediately after surgery which can variably make the breasts look too big, too small, too high, or uneven. Give the breasts a chance to settle before making a judgment. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon at your follow up visits. Sometimes it is difficult to be patient, but at this point, waiting is likely the best course.

If you end up wanting to have a different size after settling has occurred, the procedure involves surgery again. The old implants are removed, and new ones replaced. The cost could be almost the same as your original surgery, although this would depend on the circumstances, and the discretion of your surgeon. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Lawrence Tong, MD

Can I add volume to my gel implants?

+1
No, you cannot add volume to silicone gel implants...you would need to replace the implants entirely. Also, it is way too early after surgery to assess the size of your breasts and your satisfaction or lack of it with your breast size. Give it a few months, and if you are still not happy, a size change is not a complex surgery, though with the price of implants, not an inexpensive one.

Robert M. Grenley, MD