I Had BA Surgery 7 Weeks Ago, and I Think They're Too Big? (photo)

I had BA surgery 7 weeks ago, and I think they're too big. I am 5'3, 108 lbs, and the doctor used 350-375 high profile mentor silicone implants inserted under the muscle. They haven't completely dropped yet, especially the right one (which is my dominant side.) I feel huge. I am especially upset because I made it clear at the time of my consultation that I didn't want a dramatic change, and I feel like that's exactly what I ended up with. I'd like a revision ASAP.

I Had BA Surgery 7 Weeks Ago, and I Think They're Too Big

+2

It would be helpful to know how the sizing decision was made. One guideline many surgeons use is to limit the implant size such that the implant is not wider than is the breast. These implants would be about 11.5 cm, but we don't know the breast width. 

I like to have patients try on implant sizers to help choose the implants. 

At this stage, obviously there is asymmetry, with the right implants seeming not to have dropped as much as the left. That may well improve with time. 

If the left breast is satisfactory in size, I would urge patience. If clearly the left side is too large, 2 months is enough. Figuring how much smaller is a real challenge. Goal photos may be the best bet, since there are no mechanical options. 

All the best. 

Not Happy with Breast Augmentation Results?

+1

As you have likely heard, it is too early to evaluate the end results of the procedure performed. Hopefully you are aware that it is not uncommon for patients to feel that they are “too big” or “too small”  during the first few weeks after breast augmentation surgery. These same patients, after a period of physical and psychological “adjustment”, often are quite pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure.

At this point, I would suggest that you continue to exercise patience and continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. Communicate your concerns in a calm/constructive fashion and avoid any major decisions for now.

7 weeks out and one side high

+1

I'm sorry to hear of your plight but I would hope you had an active role in deciding on what size implant you were going to get.   On the otherhand, you are asymmetric and your implants have not settled completely.  I hope you are working with your surgeon on maneuvers that can help resolve your issues.  Though less likely to occur, you can still experience significant settling with diligent exercises/massages/strap use/etc.  As for a revision ASAP, doing it early makes it more difficult to predict your outcome later and you can be trading one problem for another.  Get a second opinion in your neighborhood if your surgeon dismisses your concerns.

Curtis Wong, MD

When to exchange?

+1

Hello and thanks for your post and photos. It looks like your implants have not fully dropped. You might want to wait until you're about 12 weeks ago, but see what your PS says are your options. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Revision breast surgery if implants are too big

+1

Hi - although for some breast aug patients it is part of the normal post-operative course to feel "too big" at times, it sounds as if you feel pretty strongly about your size. For now, it is too soon to revise the implants - I would wait at least 3 months. At that time, they will have settled into place a bit more, and you will have had time to mentally adjust to their size as well. You also had a high profile implant placed, so if you do desire a revision in a few months, I might suggest a moderate profile, as this will give you the same "base width" but much less volume and projection. 

Tracy Kadkhodayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Implant choice for breast augmentation

+1

I think it is a good idea to wait at least 3 months before any revision to change size. Also, do not judge your overall result until the implants are settled into place. The volume of the implants is one factor in the appearance of the implants, and another is the profile. High profile implants project more (stick out further from the chest wall), and are more narrow, than moderate-plus or moderate profile implants. The width of the implant seems appropriate for you, so if you want to downsize I would switch to moderate-plus profile, which would be around 275-300 cc for the same width, and gives a more natural looking appearance. Choosing implant size can be tricky, because there is not a great way to describe breast size. People often use cup size, saying they would like to be a full D for example, but if you ask the same patient to bring in photos of what they mean, the photos are often entirely different. In general about 150-200 cc adds one cup size, but it is not an exact conversion and depends on your frame. Often patients wish they went a size larger after they have healed, so give it some time. You may be pleased once they take on their final position. If not, revision is an option. Keep in touch with your surgeon and let him or her know your concerns.

Anita Patel, MD

Breast Implant Too Large

+1

Thank you for the photos.  At this point given how early you are in the process I would ask to wait until you are at least 4 months out from your surgery.  At that point the implants have shifted and things do look very different. At that point you can discuss this further with your plastic surgeon to see how things look and see if you still feel that way.  I know that is a long time to wait, but it really is in your best interest.  Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Revision

+1

Its only been about 7 weeks, give it some time for the implants should fall.  Would recommend message three times per day. Also consider using a bra strap.  I would not recommend revision for at least 6 months. 

Ben Childers, MD

Large implants may take longer to settle

+1

Sorry that you are unhappy. With this large size and your small chest, it will take some time for the swelling to subside and the implant to drop. Choosing implant sizes is critical and a necessary part of the preoperative discussion. I'm not sure what your dialogue was, but there may have been a disconnect. You will need to let everything heal up and the swelling subside before you want to consider revision. I wouldn't entertain this until it has been about 6 mos. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD