I Had BA Using Subfascial Placement, When Can I Sleep On My Side? Or Run?

How long until I can sleep on my side? ? Also, I am curious how long I should wait until I can run long distances. Im 14 Post OP now and feel great for the most part.

Communicate with your surgeon for recovery questions after subfascial breast implants

+2

Recovery after subfascial placement of breast implants is more similar to subglandular than submuscular, so your recovery schedule seems typical. The issue of sleeping on your side relates to the time it takes for the scar capsule to form and stabilize the location of the implants. This is something your surgeon will advise you on. My suggestion is that you sleep in a bra for at least the first 4-6 weeks.

Activity after a breast implant

+2

in my practice we allow patients to sleep on their side when they can tolerate it, allow them to walk on a treadmill after 2 weeks, and allow running, with a jogging bra on, after 4 week.s

Julio Garcia, MD

Sleeping on side and running after breast augmentation

+1
I recommend that patients sleep on their back or side after surgery and wear their supportive sports bra or compression bra day and night for the first eight weeks.

You may begin your regular exercise routine 3 weeks after surgery, except upper body weight training. Upper body weight training and push-ups should not be done until 6 weeks. Particularly when implants are placed under the chest muscle, upper body weight training before 6 weeks could cause bleeding and subsequent hardening (capsular contracture).

However, please ask your surgeon for their advice since they may have different guidelines.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Activity following subfascial breast augmentation

+1

You are still early in your recovery period.  Recovery from subfascial augmentation is quicker than from under the muscle.  I would be cautious and still err on the side of under-doing your activity.  Heavy impact or strenuous activity may still be too early for your recovery time period.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Exercising after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question.  Plastic Surgeons may respond differently to this question, but in my practice I tend to be reasonably conservative and allow patients to sleep on their side when they feel very good without bruising( approximately three weeks after the surgery) and may start exercising after four weeks.  The most strenuous of exercising with high impact  contact( running or jogging) may need to be delayed even longer.

Good luck when you resume your exercising.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Breast Augmentation and Activity?

+1

Thank you for the question. I am glad you are doing well after surgery.

When patients tell me they are “feeling great” after surgery I asked them to avoid overdoing strenuous activity to avoid a setback. Most patients are able to sleep on their side without discomfort at about 3 weeks after surgery. I ask patients to avoid long distance running for about 6 weeks after surgery. Heavier lifting can be resumed around 6 to 8 weeks after surgery and most patients  feel comfortable lying on their abdomen after about 3 months.

Sugarbush ba recovery

+1

There is a lot of variation in technique used but in my practice I preserve all of the fascia with no thermal damage. The only restrictions I place on my patients are those they place on themselves besides avoiding trauma and ibuprofen/ aspirin for hematoma risk. It is important in my practice to monitor patients regularly after breast augmentation and you should definitely follow regularly with photos or preferably exam with your surgeon. All the best, Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD