BA Scar Healing Slow? (photo)

Can you suggest anything that would help my scars heal? My surgery was 1 1/2 months ago and I had my regular doctor take my stitches out, not the PS. The second picture is when the stitches were first removed. I live in Arizona and it is VERY hot here. The come off a few times, I don't know what to do at this time. I just want the wounds to close and heal. Thanks!

Breast augmentation healing problems

+2

I am not so sure you had an incision all the way around the areola. It looks like the incision was only made on the upper half of the circumference and that your body is reacting to sutures placed at the time of surgery. You need to see your operating surgeon to address this. I have had patients who completely healed their breast incisions and then reopened in some areas in reaction to absorbable sutures. Luckily these all healed without sequelae but it took some time and a lot of hand holding.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Breast Augmentation - slow healing

+2

You have some sutures coming through the incisions.  Return to your plastic surgeon and have him or her start plucking out some of those suture pieces.  You will be fine however a scar revision may be required in the future.  Best Wishes!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

BA Scar Healing Slow?

+2

I do not understand why your Primary doc had to remove the sutures? Why not the operative PS? Was your surgery done out of country?? Always best to have VERY close follow up with your surgeon IN PERSON. Wound care and scar prevention is a large part of a complete surgical package NOT afforded by going out of country. Either pay for a local PS to take over your post operative wound/scar care or try over the counter scar remedies. 

Breast Aug incision issue.

+2

Thanks for your question.  I agree with some of my other colleagues that the best course of action at this point is to allow things to heal conservatively.  If the scar isn't to your liking you can revise it but now is not the time to do a revision.  In terms of the cause it's tough to say.  You may not scar well in general or you may not do well with that particular type of suture material.  Probably can't say for certain at this point.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Healing issues after augmentation

+2

Many factors go into healing an incision. Not enough history was given. Best to treat this conservatively and consider scar revision if it doesn't heal to your satisfaction.

Possible suture infection following a Benelli type breast lift and augmentation

+2

It appears that you had a peri-areolar type breast lift at the same time as your breast augmentation.  There are many different types of suture material that can be used.  If your surgeon used a permanent type of suture material as a purse string type closure then if this suture becomes infected it must be removed.  Your family physician is not going to be familiar with this operation or your ensuing problems.  You should follow up with your plastic surgeon.  

BA Scar Healing Slow?

+2

I am not sure I would call this slow healing. The scar seems a bit prominent, and "hypertrophic."  This can happen with any incision, but may be likelier in tight closures, as can occur is some combined lift/enlargement operations.

At this point best for you would be a call to your surgeon for advice about using a silicone scar product. All the best. 

Scars Healing After Breast Aug #breastimplants

+2

Poor scarring can be partially genetic and partially from physical tension. It looks to me like you have quite a bit of pressure on your scar from the underlying implant. Tension can create poor scars. I obviously can not be sure without seeing you but things you can do to help scars would be to use silicone scar sheets. This can be purchased on the internet from various suppliers. It has to be used for about 12 hours a day for at least 3 months to help soften scars. It should not be used on scars that have not completely healed. All of the wound must be closed. If it is not then you will collect moisture beneath the silicone sheet and get an infected scar. Other than that there is not much more you can do but to allow the scar to heal then you may need a revision of the actual scar down the road once the implant stretches the skin out and creates less tension. You can also have steroid injections into your scar. Your surgeon should know about all of these treatments so I would ask them.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast Augmentation BA healing

+2

Thank you for this question. I would recommend speaking with your plastic surgeon about his/her thoughts. It could be the type of suture used in your areola incision. This condition will mature/settle over time as either the wound will heal with local care or any possible suture issue will declare itself more fully. I highly recommend that you visit your plastic surgeon. Good luck!

David C. Yao, MD, FACS
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Healing and scarring 6 weeks post-op from breast surgery

+2

From the appearance of the wounds in the images, it seems as though you had a periareolar lift combined with your breast augmentation.  This is pertinent for two reasons.  First, many surgeons use some form of permanent suture as a "blocking suture" around the areola, and if that suture  gets contaminated, it can act as a foreign body and delay healing.  Sometimes it needs to be removed if this happens.  Also, one of the main principles of periareolar lifting is creating tension in the skin of the breasts to tighten the breasts, and this often creates tension in the wounds which may delay healing.  At 6 weeks it is not unusual to see some type of healing delay like this with this operation.  You should check with your plastic surgeon to get his or her recommendations on long term scar management as this is something that should be done over the next several months.  It will be 9 months to a year before your scars will be fully mature, and during this time you will want to provide some form of scar management to optimize their appearance.  Good luck. 

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD