BA Post Op Hematoma? (photo)

I underwent BA little over a week ago and I am little bit worried about post op hematoma. My left breast feels different, is slightly larger, sore, and more bruised than the other. Bruise under the breast feels hard. I had some bruises almost immediately after the surgery, but not like this.

Small Hematoma

It does look like you may have a small hematoma on the left .  It is small and the size of your breast size is not significant enlarged.  I do not think your plastic surgeon should examine you for the firmness and discomfort. Sometime it is fine to leave a small amount of blood but nothing significant.  Work with your doc.

Bruising and Swelling may occur after Breast Implants

You appear to have bruising and swelling that is bilaterally symmetrical and not suggestive of a hematoma.  A hematoma causes profound enlargement usually on one side only but occasionally bilateral.  If worried about anything, the best course is to see your surgeon and have an assessment.    Your surgeon would be easily able to assess and comfort you.  Of course, if a problem existed your surgeon could correct it.   Always go and see your surgeon.  Never sit and worry.  My best  Dr C

Hematoma after surgery

Photos alone can never tell if a significant hematoma exists.  Bruising doesn't tell you either.  It is a combination of firmness, bruising and size difference.  Go see your surgeon.

Wesley Wilson, MD

BA Post Op Hematoma?

SEEK immediate medical evaluation from the operative surgeon for peace of mind. Over the internet even with great posted  photos we can not really tell if you have a hematoma. ONLY in person evaluation possible sonogram can help. It appears as a mild bleeding event but I am not sure that is why I recommend IN PERSON care. 

Hematoma after Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your description  and pictures, it is very likely that you are dealing with significant swelling/bruising as opposed to a true “hematoma”. This will take time to resolve; warm compresses may be helpful.

Most importantly, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who will be in the best position to advise you;  direct physical examination will always provide more information that can be provided with online pictures…

Breast augmentation hematoma

Hard to say without an exam but you do have significant bruising. I recommend Arnica Montana for my patients to reduce bruising and swelling. Please see your doctor for follow up.

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Your photos suggest some bruising after surgery. As for a significant hematoma, it is hard to say from just a photo.  An exam would be helpful.

Hematoma After Breast Augmentation

Dear  Darra,

Your photos show a small hematoma on your right breast as well as bruising all over the breasts area.

At one week post-op, I advise you to be a little more patient as your body should be able to take care of this blood collection (hematoma).

Keeping your surgeon in the loop of your progress is essential as he/she knows the fullest details of your surgery. Also, it may be a good idea to talk with your surgeon about the Arnika supplement as it may help your situation.

Thank you for your inquiry and best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

You bruising suggests a small amount of bleeding but not necessarily a large hematoma. A hematoma would be a collection of blood within the space around the implant. When these are large, they are obvious, with marked swelling and tenderness. Sometime there can simply be a some bleeding that moves downward beneath the skin, causing the bruises that you have. This does not need any surgery. Follow your surgeon's instructions.

What to do with a post-op bleed: depends on how big it is

It appears like you have excessive bruising and possibly a hematoma.  You should talk to your plastic surgeon about how to proceed.  If it is small it can be left alone as your body will resorb the blood.  If the hematoma is big, it is better to remove it because either it takes too long to resorb or it may solidify into a lump you do not want.  
Avoid drugs and supplements that increase your risk of bleeding and bruising: aspirin, advil, plavix, omega 3 and fish oils, and other herbal medications which have the potential of increasing the risk of bleeding and bruising.
Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSCf
Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Martin Jugenburg, MD