How Much Exactly is Enough? BA Above Muscle

Greetings :)I'm a 5'8" tall, 143 Lbs former pro swimmer practicing boxing , mixed Martial Arts and Bushido.My actual size is more or less an A cup but I have some healthy layer above the chest muscle quite way up. Under the muscle implants somewhat a concern because I do push ups and I really don't want to end up with the implant in my armpit when I throw a healthy punch. The risk of getting hit is small. What I would like to know is how much is enough tissue. I'm looking for full B. Many thanks

How much tissue is enough

+3

I think you should do fine since you only want to be a B cup so putting the im[plants above the muscle should be ok.If you wanted to be big that might be a problem.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Physical lifestyle and implant placement.

+3

For a woman with a very physical lifestyle, an implant placed above the muscle is typically preferred. Different surgeons give different answers when discussing how much tissue is "necessary" for implant camouflage. One such test is the "pinch" test of the upper pole soft tissue. Some people suggest under the muscle coverage if this pinch is less than 2 cm. However, all this is subjective. If you are looking for a "full B," a smaller implant on top of the muscle can give you this result with a very natural look.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Implant placement for phyically active women

+3

As you can see from my colleagues'  responses, there is no consensus on what is the best placement for a breast implant in women who are very active, above or below the muscle.  I personally recommend above the muscle to my patients and have achieved very natural results even with low body fat to camouflage the implant's edges. I suspect that different surgeons, using different techniques can get comparable results. So  it is probably more important that you listen to your surgeon and what he or she recommends and feels comfortable performing. You should be able to talk with your surgeon and discuss your concerns and feel confident in the answers you receive. And make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

How much for a B cup in an athlete for breast augmentation

+2

For a one cup increase in your breast size, above the muscle is probably fine. To be sure, see a qualified plastic surgeon in your area for an evaluation including measurements and sizing for breast implants. Good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Implant pocket location

+2

In the majority of patients I place implants below the muscle, even in active ones. However if your preference is above, then this is certainly possible. Most surgeons would caution you to go over the muscle if your coverage is thin( less than 2 or so cms).  Less than that you are more prone to get rippling.

Above or below the muscle implants in active female

+2

You can see from the various answers that this is a vexing problems for us. Body Builders etc. have low body fat and breast tissue and very strong muscle bulk and strength. The "soft tissue" cover needs to cover the outline of the implants where the muscle strength can distort the implant when placed underneath. Sometimes Body Builders want large breasts to obtain an edge against other contestants.

What does it mean for you: The plus side is you want modestly sized implants and you seem to have a reasonable "soft tissue cushion" to cover the implants.

Talk to a Plastic Surgeon you comfortable with, follow his advice and postoperative restrictions (weightlifting, contact sports !!!!) and you should have a satisfying result. By the way (gel) implants should withstand reasonable contact sports.

Good luck !

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

+2

Going to a full B should be very attainable in almost every case. It is a very modest size change in most women and the skin should accommodate very well. There really shouldn't be a problem to go under the muscle either, in my experience with very active patients but if this is your preference, then I think you should do fine.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Silicone gel implants above the muscle is a good choice for an athletic female who wants breast augmentation.

+2

Your very physical lifestyle would make me suggest an implant above the muscle.  Silicone gel implants have fewer visible contour issues and I would recommend them over saline.

Breast Implant for active Person

+2

Without a picture and tissue measurements, it is hard to give specific recommendations. However, based on what you describe and the final cup size you desire, silicone gel implants above the muscle may be a good option. This would best be discussed with a Board Certified plastic surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Implant placement

+2

Even though you would probably do fine with a small silicone gel implant under the breast tissue.  It sounds like you would have very little tissue coverage which can lead to a not real natural result.  Even in patients such as yourself I will recommend a subpectoral placement for the implant.  I have done this in patients that have been active duty military and competitive body builders who have had no problem.  Never had an implant end up in the arm pit and all patients still able to do pushups, maybe not quite as many as before however.

Gary Hall,MD

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon